Go to footer

Soft Taxidermy? (Might be ew to some people)

Ok, so stuffed animals aren't exactly dolls - most of us have them and some of us make them so why not?

Soft Taxidermy? (Might be ew to some people)

Postby SillyLilPuppet » Wed May 01, 2013 4:35 pm

So I'm thinking about getting into soft taxidermy, like treated hides with a foam mounted head and a soft polyfill body. Has anyone on here ever done something similar, or have any good tips? And no I'm not gonna go out killing animals, I'd rather use ones who died a natural death or in for-food/game control hunts, or even vintage furs (there's a lot of thrift stores nearby).
<>My Tumblr<>My Etsy<>Come chat!<>
Too many dolls, I give up.
SillyLilPuppet
Dolly Pardon

Re: Soft Taxidermy? (Might be ew to some people)

Postby spark » Thu May 02, 2013 3:07 pm

I've never done it, but I'd love to own a soft mount someday.
spark
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby WhiteDove01s » Thu May 02, 2013 3:27 pm

I used to do leathercraft years back, but didn't work too much with real fur because of the way it sheds. (I do still have some though, and back in the day glued some rabbit to a Barbie Stacy doll to make a catgirl, then shaved it to length... but that's a whole other thing.)

Check on leathercraft sites for lots of fur care tips and how to keep the results in good condition. Also there's an online place called leatherunltd.com that has some whole pelts of critters like ermine and muskrat. Don't neglect to check under their Black Powder section as I think some hides are only listed there.
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby SillyLilPuppet » Thu May 02, 2013 7:03 pm

I've been looking up various taxidermy guides, and joined a forum for it already (I think a few of em think I'm a bit crazy since my first post was asking if doll eyes were comparable to taxidermy eyes), definitely wanna do my research before trying it.

Actually might get a shot at trying it soon, my dad has some squirrel furs to send me courtesy of my cats :lol: They left them on the back porch as a present apparently, so my dad decided to use the opportunity to try out tanning. We're only a little redneck.
<>My Tumblr<>My Etsy<>Come chat!<>
Too many dolls, I give up.
SillyLilPuppet
Dolly Pardon

Postby yarwel » Thu May 02, 2013 8:26 pm

That's great! I'd love to see what you can come up with!
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Who You Callin' Plushy?