Go to footer

Crochet ball joint doll

Ok, so stuffed animals aren't exactly dolls - most of us have them and some of us make them so why not?

Crochet ball joint doll

Postby DollyKim » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:46 pm

Had to share what I found. Can't wait for a pattern. http://www.deviantart.com/art/Mae-Trix- ... -363659224

DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Crochet ball joint doll

Postby Gift_in_Edge » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:03 pm

Neat!
I'm mostly on Tumblr now.
Gift_in_Edge
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby zirconmermaid » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:53 am

Now that is really neat!
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby she_flame » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:16 am

I found another one!

It's from here.
she_flame
Dolly Pardon

Postby Marionette » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:45 pm

I wonder if you could make these with smaller gaps in the yarn? They are really cute and would be even cuter to me if the gaps were a bit less obvious, to give the doll a smoother appearance (that second one is getting there!). I'd glue on felt facial features and maybe do acrylic hair... ah, I need to learn to crochet. xD

*clicks on the link*

FOUR FEET TALL? O___O Quite a big girl. xD Seriously, that's about one foot shorter than me.
Marionette
i see dead dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:33 am

Spaces between the stitches are part of the gage, to make a pattern you have so many stitches and so many rows per inch. Roughly a smaller hook would make tighter stitches but it would make a smaller doll, so then you would try a thicker yarn.

Definitely learn to crochet, you'll be able to make all sorts of things. Both dolls look to be made with the single crochet stitch and the shaping comes from adding and subtracting the number of stitches in the rows.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Calivano » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:06 pm

Wow, that looks like it takes a lot of skill to make. The one on the bottom looks more versatile. Do you think youll try to make it?
"The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and... ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles..."

-11th Doctor
Calivano
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby DollyKim » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:30 pm

If there was a pattern I would. I'm part way to making my own knit and crochet patterns but I can't make my own ball joint dolls yet so I'd have to copy one of my others. They both look to be done in single crochet with increases and decreases for shaping. It looks trickier than it is.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby bitterdarjeeling » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:00 am

I'm so jealous of whoever did these~ I knit and I tried to learn how to crochet, but I got so confused following the instructions online.
And looking at the pictures again, they must have also had a lot of patience to make her four feet tall!
bitterdarjeeling
i see dead dolliehs

Postby TsukiNoKemuri » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:26 pm

Knitting and crocheting have both eluded me on numerous attempts, whether I've tried to learn from books or videos. It's a bit frustrating, because I usually am able to pick up things like this and become at least semi-competent after a few tries. Here, it's more like, "OK, over, under, around and through, hook here, needle here, pull this through that... and now I've got a snarl of knots... and now I've pulled it all apart and it's just a straight piece of yarn again... grr." It's a bit of a shame, because I have a few nifty amigurumi books tempting me with their cute and personalize-able projects.

To stay slightly on topic, I find it odd here that the stockings and/or boots on the first one are crocheted directly as part of the doll's body. I'd think that would limit how you could dress it up and still have everything coordinated. That said, it is an incredibly cool and ambitious project. The original DeviantArt post says pipe insulation was used as '"bones"; I think my instinct would have been to go with something like PEX pipe (a semi-rigid tubing used for home water piping, heating and cooling) to make it more functionally skeletal... but that might be overkill. ^^;
TsukiNoKemuri
i see dead dolliehs

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Who You Callin' Plushy?