Go to footer

Mail-order product? No!

Raise your hand if you have action figures, movie based toys, model tanks etc... Yea, this place is for you!

Mail-order product? No!

Postby GooglyDooglyV.2 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:25 am

Yeah yeah, I know this plane kinda looks like you'd order something from Sharper Image...you know, the kind of product that's not allowed in Tennessee, Alabama, etc etc... >_>

But no! This was actually a terrifying and fearsome weapon! The one weapon that the Japanese truly feared in WWII! It's....

The B-29 Superfortress...

This kit was a pain to build, mainly because the mold itself is older than me, and time warped all the parts. But with a little elbow grease and manly yet slightly fruity strength, I persevered.

But painting it to look like its bare metal was a joy. It was so fun, I may end up metallizing one of my dolls.

Well that's it for now. I'm just waiting for the highly-inappropriate nose art decals to come from the Japan.
GooglyDooglyV.2
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Re: Mail-order product? No!

Postby Greyhaunt » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:25 pm

Very nice - what did you use to do the metallicizing?
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby victoriavictrix » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:15 pm

Ooooh metalizing??? I have a doll I'd like to see you do that with (the greyish skin Delilah Noir I can't decide what to do with). You game to try?
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby GooglyDooglyV.2 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:11 pm

Grey, I've used Tamiya aluminum paints. I think I've used around 4 shades of aluminum, not to mention the shades I've mixed in. I've tried Alcalad aluminum paints, and while they do look like real aluminum, they peel so easily so I stopped using it.

Misty, I'm not sure yet. Metallizing is an easy process to do, the problem is, it's not the most durable of paints. That's why I'm trying some uncoventional sealers on dolls. Like Future floor shine. lol
GooglyDooglyV.2

Postby victoriavictrix » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:52 pm

I'm going to try that on my wee DZ fox. Once I get the look I want I am vanishingly unlikely to change him. I'm thinking about turning that Delilah Noir into a robot, maybe a steampunk one in steel rather than the usual brass and copper.

BTW I finally got to your yellow sundresses. I have one in sunshine yellow and one in gold. I'll send them off to you when they're finished. I got one of the Affordable designs patterns that I think Dennis discontinued.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby zirconmermaid » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:13 pm

Wow, I really like the paintjob! I can't wait to see the inappropriate nose art too! :D
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby Geektopian » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:22 pm

Any updates on this? And which B-29 kit is this?

Back in the day (late '70s) I built most of the big (1/48 scale) Monogram aircraft kits but the B-29 was one I never got around to buying.
Geektopian
Der Kommissar

Postby GooglyDooglyV.2 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Oops, I actually got distracted from this build by another classic, a Monogram B-17G bomber.

I remember building soooooo many of these kits when I was a teenager. All ended in disaster. :lol:

Now if I only can find time to finish these builds, I'd be set!
GooglyDooglyV.2

Postby Geektopian » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:30 am

Oh wow... The Monogram B-17G was the first of their big 1/48 scale planes I built! That was sometime in 1977-78 and I remember saving my allowance money to buy one. My finished product wasn't great but I managed to finish it.

Needless to say, yours looks much, much better!
Geektopian
Der Kommissar

Return to Board index

Return to Other Toys