Go to footer

Custom Painted 1985 MATCHBOX ROBOTECH "Miriya" Action Figure

Raise your hand if you have action figures, movie based toys, model tanks etc... Yea, this place is for you!

Custom Painted 1985 MATCHBOX ROBOTECH "Miriya" Action Figure

Postby Tasuke » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:18 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotech

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macross

http://macross.wikia.com/wiki/Milia_Fallyna_Jenius

something right around 20 years ago, as an ignorant, pre-internet budding MACROSS/ROBOTECH fan
with no means to obtain the once highly sought after 1/55 "Chunky" and/or 1/72 HCM VF-1 robot toys he so desperately desired,
i leaped at whatever MACROSS, -usually by proxy of ROBOTECH- i could find locally.

i found the old COMICO ROBOTECH comics (and, eventually, the newer ANTARCTIC PRESS ones) at my local comics/collectibles shop,
the crappy 1/100 fixed-mode ARII VF-1 model kits, the EXO SQUAD/ROBOTECH re-issues of the old 1985 MATCHBOX vehicular toy line,
and the PALLADIUM BOOKS RPG/sourcebooks, which were my only means of technical reference for MACROSS for years to come.

i knew about, -thanks to adverts in those old COMICO comics- the old MATCHBOX action figure line, and, for whatever reason,
desired to own at least the figure of "Rick Hunter" the principal lead character.

then, out of the blue, for just that year, never to be repeated, there was a collectible toy show at my local mall at the time.
the lobby floors were packed with vendors, and one had boxes of MoC vintage action figures,
including a small box worth of those old MATCHBOX ROBOTECH offerings.

i freaked, and ran through them in search of a Hunter, to no avail. i did, however come across this VF-1 pilot "Miriya"
and i had felt that if i was to have one of these old figures, it had better be Rick Hunter. barring that, however,
it would have to be a VF-1 pilot of some sort, and a barely-female one in red and white would be better than walking away empty handed.

so, i just barely had the $15 the vendor was asking, but she was mine, for whatever it was ultimately worth.

with the onset of the 21st century, and broadening of horizons that came with internet access,
i was finally able to begin moving beyond the ROBOTECH-oriented garbage i once so desperately clung to,
and it all went into storage, including that Miriya.

just recently, after a move, i busted into those awful old toys again, for old times sake,
and decided to see what i could do with that horrible action figure
with my vastly improved painting skills.

as you can surmise, there is very little that can be done to that terminally grotesque facial sculpt.
these figures are GARBAGE from a bygone era of forced ignorance, and they really should stay that way...

Image[
Tasuke
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Custom Painted 1985 MATCHBOX ROBOTECH "Miriya" Action Fi

Postby DollyKim » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:27 pm

~remembers Robotech and feels old~

Good job on fixing her up.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Return to Board index

Return to Other Toys