Go to footer

Ivan needs a war horse...

Raise your hand if you have action figures, movie based toys, model tanks etc... Yea, this place is for you!

Re: Ivan needs a war horse...

Postby Trethowan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:42 am

I contacted Deb and Randy from one link, they're not casting anything as big as I'd like, and they referred me to the same Secret loft Designs that you guys posted. I sent an email to see what they have Friesian-wise.

Ah, those plushies are absolutely adorable!!!

The research I've seen about medieval warhorses conflicts. Most say they're larger horses as per everything I've ever read. One source claims the 18-hands high (6 feet) destrier is a myth, and measurements of armor and the like suggest that horses were closer to 14 hands but built solidly. I find that VERY hard to believe, 14 hands is tiny.

In the end, I love Friesian, and that's what I want for Ivan regardless. I think they match each other well. Maybe it's the hair... haha

VV!!! That horse is awesome, and what a great size. :-) Thanks for the link, and yeah, that IS a really good price. (Especially after looking at several-hundred dollar resin casts.)
Trethowan
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby victoriavictrix » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:23 am

The barding and armor that survives for most warhorses is mostly Renaissance and Tudor; I've seen some of it in British museums up close and almost hands-on. It seemed to suggest that 16 hands was closer to the max, 14 was average, but man, were those ponies broad. Do remember that back then a 6 foot tall man was nearly a giant, though, so you can easily justify Ivan needing a taller horse to carry his weight.

Now the advantage with that leather horse is that you can root the leather the same way you'd root vinyl for hairy feet, or you can just glue a "hoof toupee" on directly. Mane and tail. same thing.

Here's what they tend to look like new:

So you just whack off that leather tail and insert your own. The gal selling this one is correct, there are a lot of these in smaller sizes about, the huge ones are relatively rare. Made in Indonesia, I think?
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Trethowan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:06 am

victoriavictrix wrote:The barding and armor that survives for most warhorses is mostly Renaissance and Tudor; I've seen some of it in British museums up close and almost hands-on. It seemed to suggest that 16 hands was closer to the max, 14 was average, but man, were those ponies broad. Do remember that back then a 6 foot tall man was nearly a giant, though, so you can easily justify Ivan needing a taller horse to carry his weight.

Now the advantage with that leather horse is that you can root the leather the same way you'd root vinyl for hairy feet, or you can just glue a "hoof toupee" on directly. Mane and tail. same thing.

Here's what they tend to look like new:

So you just whack off that leather tail and insert your own. The gal selling this one is correct, there are a lot of these in smaller sizes about, the huge ones are relatively rare. Made in Indonesia, I think?

Ah, yes. I emailed the individual about the leather horse, I'm going to buy it if it hasn't sold yet. And I can definitely do some work on it if need be. I used to make clay saddles for my Breyers when I was a kid. I still have one floating around the house.

Yes, I worried about the height issue. When I first invented Ivan (around 95 or 96 I think?) I wasn't thinking about historical accuracy, I was thinking... oooh, dreamy vampy man. :roll: He existed in a fantasy world, but now he has been imported to a historical format, so I worry his height will make me look like a noob that didn't do her research. Micah has already been completely re-tooled, Ivan's biography has been changed because of the research I've done so far, (I have forgotten WAY too much history. ) So I can see Ivan undergoing a few modifications as well. Lose a few inches, or... hm, maybe his mother was a Viking. :lol: He'd make a good Varangian captain. ;-)

hahaha... stop me if you guys catch me in an obsessive attempt to sand down his legs. ...must...be...accurate...

Back on topic. Horses. Yes.
Trethowan

Postby Trethowan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:29 pm

Update. I didn't hear back from leather-horse lady. I'll try again.

The sculptor at Secret Loft Designs got back to me. She's working on a 1/3 70cm scale horse currently, and will contact me when it's complete/available. I'll say yay for now, but yikes, I'm going to guess it will be pricey. For the cost, I want it jointed. heh...
Trethowan

Postby theodoric » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:59 am

Trethowan wrote:The sculptor at Secret Loft Designs got back to me. She's working on a 1/3 70cm scale horse currently, and will contact me when it's complete/available. I'll say yay for now, but yikes, I'm going to guess it will be pricey. For the cost, I want it jointed. heh...

oooOOOOoooo ... now THAT would be an option for my Mio as well (at her 65cm)

I've already started digging to find a nice pattern for a medieval style gown for her ... and I've already figured out how big a scale sword would have to be to look right in her hand ... and have a list of sword makers to contact to see if one would custom make it for me ..... (yeah OUCH on the price I can imagine for that :cry: )

a properly scaled horse ... with a side-saddle maybe

that would have very nice potential :D
theodoric
BANNED

Postby Greyhaunt » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:47 am

Good find on the leather one VV! I'd forgotten about those, which is dumb since I used to own a small one. I really like those leather made animals. I have a camel like that for one of my pukis!
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby kurosu.chan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:09 pm

Greyhaunt wrote:Good find on the leather one VV! I'd forgotten about those, which is dumb since I used to own a small one. I really like those leather made animals. I have a camel like that for one of my pukis!

That reminds me of Indiana Jones...with the camels... :lol:
I have to watch that movie again...
kurosu.chan
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Trethowan » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:57 am

The leather-horse lady FINALLY returned my messages. It already sold. Too bad. I did borrow my niece's Jaguar though, and Ivan looks really cute driving it. I'll have to post some pictures. He looks pretty suave in his stud-mobile.
Trethowan

Postby victoriavictrix » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:35 pm

I'd keep looking for a giant size leather horse. There are probably more of them out there.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Other Toys