Go to footer

Puppet Lovers?

Raise your hand if you have action figures, movie based toys, model tanks etc... Yea, this place is for you!

Re: Puppet Lovers?

Postby quidam » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:58 am

Gift- What? No pictures? :cry:

Silly- That's not complicating things; that's making things awesome beyond words! Maybe you could look out for a Folkmanis shoulder dragon to dissect? They do have movable mouths and tails along with the swiveling necks. All you'd have to figure out from there would be the eyes.

Lokiholic- Well, they're not that expensive, so you should go for it! (I've noticed my concept of expensive has changed since I started the doll hobby...) I'm actually considering requesting one for Christmas.
Caretaker of the Axelsen household: Aria, Annica, Aubrey, Azalea, Asher, Amelia, Alantril, Arivan, and Angora
quidam
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:02 am

You might need to look into it but I think they have training camps. New blood is what keeps things like Sesame Street going. The guy who does Big Bird now was raised on the show, worked on Little Shop of Horrors on Broadway, and was personally trained by Carol Spinney. They know talent when they see it.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby SillyLilPuppet » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:13 pm

Quidam: Oh, no I'm not actually after a dragon xD Forgot to say, its likely going to be a cat. With wings. So uh, they'll have to move too I suppose, and maybe the tail... Eep. Actually already have the mechanic part figured out, its how to keep the wires under control and easy to conceal in a costume, as the Imaginarium baby dragon I own has a covered wire that slides down one's sleeve.
<>My Tumblr<>My Etsy<>Come chat!<>
Too many dolls, I give up.
SillyLilPuppet
Dolly Pardon

Postby Gift_in_Edge » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:56 pm

quidam wrote:Gift- What? No pictures? :cry:

I totally forgot that my little Spanish guy had a gun. XD
Taco's helping to show the size of the puppets.
I'm mostly on Tumblr now.
Gift_in_Edge
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby quidam » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:51 pm

How fun! I've never played with a "real" marionette before. How tricky are they? The dragon looks like he has lots of strings.

Silly OOooo...flying cat! That sounds like fun! Once you figure him out you will need to post some pictures! Please, please, pretty please! And since I'm already on my knees in begging mode (I know no shame when puppets are involved) may I also request pictures of your awesome dragon babies?
Caretaker of the Axelsen household: Aria, Annica, Aubrey, Azalea, Asher, Amelia, Alantril, Arivan, and Angora
quidam
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:12 pm

Get or make one, they're lots of fun. It takes some practice to get them to move convincingly but it's worth it. I have a folk art rooster made out of rope, bits of metal, and feathers glued to it. The slightest movement to his head string can make him peck.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby SillyLilPuppet » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:46 pm

No idea where the dragon babies are xD In the process of cleaning/tossing stuff out soon so hope to find him (might have two, not sure). They're seriously simply made, basically a resin statue with a separate head, and the head bobs up and down with a wire.
<>My Tumblr<>My Etsy<>Come chat!<>
Too many dolls, I give up.
SillyLilPuppet
Dolly Pardon

Postby DollyKim » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:57 pm

DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Stormlight » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:08 am

Love puppets! When I was a teen, I was in our church youth group's puppeteer act. I'd watched the shows for YEARS and always wanted to be a part of it, so I joined as soon as I was old enough. But it was REALLY hard (and hot) work, having to kneel behind the stage with three to six other people and hold up your arm as high it could go while making the puppet talk, moving its mouth in a realistic manner. I had to hold my hand flat, like making a duck shadow puppet on the wall. My fingers were in the puppet's upper mouth, my thumb in its lower jaw. I had to hold my hand stiff and move only my thumb to make the puppet talk. Very difficult. Plus I also had to manipulate two rods attached to the hands and stuff (like Kermit has). Can we say arm cramps? O_x

The ones with the human arms/hands were even more difficult because two people were practically on top of each other to manipulate it, and those suckers are a lot heavier than you'd expect. lol

But it WAS a lot of fun. We'd go to other churches and have shows and contests and stuff. We were even in a couple of local fair parades. The puppets themselves had changeable hair and eyes, a lot like BJDs now that I think on it. They were actually like the puppets in Quidam's post.

As for other puppets, I have a little stuffed dragon I bought years ago, and I have two of the puppets from the Imaginarium at the Renn faire. My griffin is horribly beat up, though, so I really need to replace him (probably if/when I go this year). His poor feathered wings are all torn up, thanks to my cat getting hold of him. My other one is a little dragon, with cloth wings. He isn't as big as the griffin, so not as advanced. They never stay on my shoulders, though. Not without tying them on. lol
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby quidam » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:05 pm

I only just noticed your post, Stormlight!

Yeah, behind the stage stuff can be a killer. I recently did a performance behind stage for the first time in a long time. Pain killers were taken!
While in theory the best way to move a puppet's mouth is thumb only, I've noticed a lot of the types of puppets you see for church productions are very hard if not impossible to do that with. The ones I had in the picture you mentioned won't do it no matter how hard you try. It's very, very annoying!

Thankfully the rest of my puppets do work the right way in that matter!
quidam
the walls have dolliehs

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Other Toys