Go to footer

Nyamy!

Raise your hand if you have action figures, movie based toys, model tanks etc... Yea, this place is for you!

Nyamy!

Postby kittyasauras » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:19 pm

Look at what my husband found at the thrift store for .50cents!

So cute!

But as I was searching the net, and found out that they were recalled after 9months due to they have iron powder inside them instead of plastic pellets! Wow!
I really want to keep him but, he's dangerous. ;(
Does anyone know of a way to remove the powder?
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FawnFeathers <-----ETSY~! dollieh clothes and what-nots
kittyasauras
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Nyamy!

Postby OkamiKodomo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:28 am

I honestly don't know if this would work, but what about splitting open a seam, and emptying the filling? Then hand-wash with some dish soap? I know you can get plastic pellets at some crafts stores to refill him.

I hope you can salvage the little darling! He's adorable. >3<
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby kittyasauras » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:33 am

That's what I was wondering, but I don't know if it's in like a little sack inside him? Or is it all in the body instead of stuffing? Or even, what do I do with the stuff after removing it?

How dangerous is iron dust, anyway? It has to be some sort of level of harmful, if the toys were recalled right? But then, why were they even stuffed with the powder? lol

some one somewhere, on one of the nyamy pages had said that iron powder was like gun powder if exposed to high heat. ??
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FawnFeathers <-----ETSY~! dollieh clothes and what-nots
kittyasauras
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Linteia » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:57 am

Aw, I've seen those little guys before! I would wear a mask and gloves and work outside just in case it wasn't a little pouch, but if his little arms and legs are fiber-filled it should be. The MSDS seems to say it's a flammable irritant but mostly harmless unless you have a sensitivity.
Linteia
the walls have dolliehs

Postby kittyasauras » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:30 pm

I got brave! lol

I used my seamripper and opened up the seam on his back. It took forever to find! The thread is clear. >__<

Anyway, after all that, I took out the powder. It's in a large round plastic sack inside his belly. I tossed it in the can, hopefully that is okay. @___@

I will have to make him a new 'bladder' with plastic beans and stitch him back up! For right now, he's adorable on the kitchen counter. I decided to name him Yammy, because that's what I first thought the bandanna said. haha
kittyasauras
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Evelien » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Awwwww Yammy <3
I'm happy you got rid of the powder! I remember these cuties, when were they sold? Late eighties..?
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Vetinari » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Aw he's adorable!

Shame about the iron powder thing, I'm glad you sorted it. TBH I wouldn't have bothered myself being a lazy sod, I reckon if the iron powder is getting heated to silly temps you've got other problems! (that and I regularly get exposed to worse things so meh)
Crazy Mulitverse Crew: Drax, Jareth, Jerome, Elrana Milenkova, The Thin White Duke, Vasily Lupandin, Ramin Aiphos, Theta Sigma, Aiko Koyame, Lord Havelock Vetinari, Dr Nicholas Rush, Anon., Nyta Kinall, Otto Kreiner, That Demon, Sasu, Yaya, Ombre
...reshelling Szesil Markowski and Garan Idasson
Vetinari
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby MissIscariot » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:01 pm

That's a great find! He's in surprisingly good condition, considering he's so old and had been bumpin' around in Good Will.
MissIscariot

Postby kittyasauras » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:08 am

Yammy is back to new again. :) Used one of my son's too small baby socks stuffed with plastic pellets for the weight in his belly. He's not as heavy as before, but that's okay.

@Vetinari: I'm sure that I made the value go down on him, but I put my paranoia to rest. LOL

@Evelien: The tag on Yammy says '(c)1979', I'm going to guess that they came out around then. When I was looking online I found that there are 15 original ones, (they have the iron powder in their bellies) but some time after they got recalled they were re-released again but this time, only the four most popular ones. I don't know when those came out. You may also be thinking of the Monchichi? I think they came out sometime in the 80's?

If you do a search on google images for 'Nyamy' a persons customs come up. They are really cool. I'd like to buy a fake one and customize one. :D I'll be haunting ebay for a cheaper one... haha
kittyasauras
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Evelien » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:52 am

I googled Nyamy and Monchichi and oooh... now I don't know which it was that I saw in my childhood anymore XD
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Other Toys