Go to footer

Miniature Painting

Raise your hand if you have action figures, movie based toys, model tanks etc... Yea, this place is for you!

Miniature Painting

Postby Vycem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:37 pm

I'm not very good, but just for fun here are two minis I painted for my wife. Whenever she likes a movie I try to track down miniatures that happen to resemble the characters. Makes for a fun gift:

First, Sweeney Todd:

Here's the two main characters from the 5th Element, though these knockoff minis are not the best sculpts:

I still have a lot to learn! Though I'm particularly proud of Todd's pants. Those stripes were a pain...

Oh, fun fact: the wooden floor on Todd's base? Popsickle sticks :)
Vycem
i see dead dolliehs

Re: Miniature Painting

Postby OkamiKodomo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:04 pm

Haha those are pretty darn epic.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Yanagi-sen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:12 pm

Reminds me of painting the little D&D pewter miniatures, including eye colors... my favorite was one of Lord Soth from Dragonlance, if you look really close inside his helm, you can see the red eyes. ^__^
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Lamia of the Dark » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:15 pm

Those are great :D
I have so many dolls that I can't fit all their names in my signature anymore. @__@
Lamia of the Dark
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby AlmySidaKay » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:23 am

I keep looking at these and I'm going to end up breaking out more Warhammer armies I can just feel it.
A hobby isn't supposed to leave you wistful, regretful and vaguely disappointed. BJD collecting is as customizable as the dolls themselves. Do whatever pleases you the most, because otherwise, why do it at all? All for the 'Gram Bitches love the 'Gram.
AlmySidaKay
Keeper of Unicorns, Rainbows and Happy Things

Postby famedglory » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:21 am

That Sweeney Todd is amazing! Where do you find these things?
famedglory
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby Gift_in_Edge » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:46 am

So tiny! How you painted them so well I'll never know. :O
I'm mostly on Tumblr now.
Gift_in_Edge
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby Vycem » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:31 pm

Thanks everyone! There's still much I need to learn about mini painting. Hobbies are hard work!

@Yanagi-sen holy crap, they used to have a Lord Soth? Man that's awesome. I used to read those books so much in middle school. Glowing red eyes ftw! Did they have a Raistlin too?

@Famedglory The sweeney is made by a company called Tales of War and it's labelled as "Demon Barber". Www.coolminiornot.com's store has them, and some others like FTP games. eBay too. They have some other really cool fairy tale ones, like a badass little red riding hood with a gun standing over the wolf.

@gift_in_edge I am a little past absolute beginner at best. The first time I tried it it came out horrendous. The biggest thing to learn is brush control and getting paint where you want it. I started by getting cheap brushes and hobby paints from Walmart-that messed me up and discouraged it. When painting at that scale you really need to invest in a nice brush that will keep its point, otherwise you spend half your time fighting the brush. Then you get acrylic paints that are for this type of hobby painting since they are easy to manage and stay the pigments are nice and small-with the big craft paints the pigments are just too big! After that it's just practice and learning as you go along. There are tons of books and videos of that stuff, so thankfully it's not as terrible to learn. Hopefully faceups won't be TOO different!

@Almysidakey oh man, let's just say I sold a warhammer army to fund my first bjd. I still have a 40k army AND a fantasy army- not too sure if adding a new expensive hobby on top of a different expensive hobby is the wisest course of action... Ah well. I think maybe that's why I don't want to have kids any time soon-too many toys I want for myself!
Vycem
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Cat ^..^ » Tue May 08, 2012 7:41 pm

i love the idea of you getting your wife the little figures for each movie that she likes ♥ and, i think you did a good job painting them.
Cat ^..^
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Return to Board index

Return to Other Toys