Go to footer

A question about citadel purity seal

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

A question about citadel purity seal

Postby yarwel » Tue May 13, 2014 10:17 am

Is there only one kind? Because I just bought some and it doesn't say "satin" or "matte" or anything like that on the can and now I'm worrying it will be glossy or something when I spray it.
Also, any tips would be appreciated. :)
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Re: A question about citadel purity seal

Postby K2! » Tue May 13, 2014 11:36 am

Sounds like it's time for a test. Dig out that old Barbie you don't like any more and give her a shot. Let it dry for an hour and see how shiny she is or if it dried at all. If she's still sticky after an hour it's time to put on the brakes.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby yarwel » Tue May 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks for the advice.
I bought it to work on resin; I don't think this stuff is okay for vinyl, but I could test on the hard parts of a barbie maybe.
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Postby K2! » Tue May 13, 2014 7:38 pm

yarwel wrote:Thanks for the advice.
I bought it to work on resin; I don't think this stuff is okay for vinyl, but I could test on the hard parts of a barbie maybe.

If you want to test it on resin (quite different than Barbie hard plastics) you could try a little shot on the interior of the head cap. Mask off the rim with tape and give it a quick spritz.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby she_flame » Tue May 13, 2014 10:08 pm

I have on my Purity seal can marked with "satin varnish"-text. I don't think that they have glossy seals, but I am not really sure about that. It could be that in here the hobby stores just don't sell glossy ones.

And for side note: I don't recommend using CPS on white resin. It will show with clearly yellowish tint on the doll - at least that is the case with Chandira. Color is not permanent, yellow leaves as one clears off the varnish, but still.
she_flame
Dolly Pardon

Postby zirconmermaid » Wed May 14, 2014 12:31 am

Testors Dullcote also leaves a slight yellow tinge. It does work well, as several of my dolls still have their original 2006/2007 faceups that were done with it.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby yarwel » Wed May 14, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks for the replies!
she_flame wrote:I have on my Purity seal can marked with "satin varnish"-text. I don't think that they have glossy seals, but I am not really sure about that. It could be that in here the hobby stores just don't sell glossy ones.

And for side note: I don't recommend using CPS on white resin. It will show with clearly yellowish tint on the doll - at least that is the case with Chandira. Color is not permanent, yellow leaves as one clears off the varnish, but still.

Hmmm... my doll is white skin, but if it's not horribly yellow it may not bother me. I might be able to coordinate the blush tones around the yellow tint. I guess I'll just have to do some test sprays.
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Postby oniakki » Wed May 14, 2014 2:44 pm

Citadel purity seal was designed to seal the paint on metal, plastic, and resin 28mm and 54mm miniatures. Rarely (if ever) do said miniature painters want a glossy finish on their model. They don't offer a glossy spray for this reason and they offer a brushable gloss pot for making lenses, optics and any other small spots shiny on the miniatures.

Though I'm also used to the can saying 'Satin Varnish' on the side. like so: http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachmen ... 1299668009
oniakki
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks