Go to footer

How Do You Make A Doll?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

How Do You Make A Doll?

Postby SymphonicEnkelli » Wed May 28, 2014 7:22 pm

If this doesn't go here, then I apologize! I tried to find the best subforum for this topic!

Hello everyone!

I have this big dream to create my own doll line that I can sell to Mattel (or whatever I choose to do). I know it is lofty, but I'm giving it a try. However, I do need some help. I have a vague idea of what I need to do to get from concept to production, but the details are foggy. My biggest issue involves creating a prototype. I know it is a little ways off (I'm still drawing up designs and coming up with concepts), but when the times comes, I want resources so I can create prototypes. Thus, I come to the most knowledgeable community I know of: you guys.

I want to create a a fully-articulate, Barbie-doll like doll; so, plastic body, vinyl head and joints. This will be the end product. Obviously my prototype won't be exactly like the doll in my head, but I want to give you an idea of what I am going for. And...now I need help. How do I do it? Where do I go? Any advice? Any and all help is welcome. :)

Once again, I know this is a big project that won't happen in a night, but I have to start someone.
SymphonicEnkelli
Dollmatians

Re: How Do You Make A Doll?

Postby zirconmermaid » Wed May 28, 2014 9:17 pm

Start with a concept. Most dolls are in fact made in China. How many dolls do you want to produce? Do you want to market them yourself or do you want them to be sold by another company. It usually takes at least two years from concept to market. With or without clothes? You will need to get a sculptor or do it yourself. If you are planning to do it yourself you need to know that there is shrinkage from the master to the finished vinyl. I was involved in a project, doing the clothing prototypes, and the designer went through a production company.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Re: How Do You Make A Doll?

Postby DollyKim » Thu May 29, 2014 6:18 am

Get a copy of the book Pop Sculpture, it's the best book in English on modern figure making from design to casting your own jointed plastic figures.

I've been wanting to make my own dolls too but I'm still in the sculpting and making the joints work phase. You just have to jump in and get your hands dirty.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks