Go to footer

How long does MSC last?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

How long does MSC last?

Postby InfiniteStar » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:26 pm

I'm planning to do some more face ups, mods etc soon, I have some MSC but it's old and has been sitting in the cupboard for a few years, do I need to throw it and get a fresh can or would it still somehow work ok when I get back to doing my faceups?
InfiniteStar
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Re: How long does MSC last?

Postby K2! » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:30 pm

If you can get the material in the can to mix, it's probably fine. I bought two cans in 2008 and didn't touch one of them till 2012 and it's performed all right.

The only problem I've ever had with old aerosols (of any kind) is that sometimes when they age the can will slowly leak the propellant gas out through the valve at the top of the can so that when you pick the can up to use it there isn't enough propellant left to push the paint or whatever out of the can. The can will just "spit" or spatter material or nothing will come out at all. The other issue is that the solids in the can will settle to the bottom of the can. You need to make sure these solids get mixed thoroughly before you attempt to spray your doll. With the length of time you say your can has been sitting, you will need to agitate the can for several minutes AFTER the mixing balls inside the can loosen up. As well as shaking the can up and down, you should also hold the can over the top and rotate the bottom of the can in small circles so the mixing balls roll around on the bottom of the can, stirring up the sediment.

After you think you have it thoroughly mixed, test spray the can on a piece of paper or something so you can see if it is spraying a soft, smooth pattern.

Another cause of spitting and spattering can be a clogged spray tip. Remove the tip by pulling it straight up. On the bottom of the tip (the part that goes in the can), there is a small slot in the side of the little tube. This is where the material passes from the can into the spray tip and where material frequently builds up and dries. You can run your finger nail through this little slot to clear any dried material. Replace the tip in to top of the can making sure the top of the can and nozzle of the spray tip are pointed away from you as there can be a bit of discharge when the tip is reinserted.

If the can still does not spray or begins to spit, the spray tip may have a blockage in it. A common symptom will be that the material will spray out of the base of the spray tip and pool in and around the top of the can, making a big mess. It isn't recommended that you try to clear the nozzle tip with a pin. Doing so will more than likely damage the nozzle orifice and adversely affect the spray pattern. At this point you should try substituting a working spray tip from a similar product. Although they all may look the same these little spray tips can very widely in their dimensions. They are engineered to work with the specifications of the can, the material in the can, and the specific spray pattern they are designed to produce. So finding a compatible spray tip from a different product can be a craps shoot.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby zirconmermaid » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:00 pm

I have had my MSC last several years, but I always shake it up thoroughly.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby InfiniteStar » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:02 pm

Thanks for that K2! that helps a lot will see how I go when I get to it,
Thanks zirconmermaid. I have always shaken my cans thoroughly, I'll just make sure to do extra to be on the safe side along with what K2! Has given me to go off.
InfiniteStar
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks