Go to footer

Hair on a hard head? Wefts? What?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Hair on a hard head? Wefts? What?

Postby DollyKim » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:49 am

I have a Gene doll with a hard head. She has rooting holes but some are awkward to reach. So what other options do I have to give her some hair without getting a wig? I know the hair style would be permanent on her. Maybe something that covers her skull and I can clip ponytails to it?

Would it work to glue wefts along the hair line and pull them back in a permanent pony tail?
Would it look better to glue down unwefted hair?
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Hair on a hard head? Wefts? What?

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:40 am

How awkward is awkward.
Would a curved needle for upholstery help? Either that or would threading a fine wire/looped thread into the head to help pull up the lock of hair help?
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby yarwel » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:22 am

I've had only limited success gluing 'hair' to a dolls head before. When I made dracula I glued faux fur fibers(cut off the fabric, if that makes sense) directly to his head with elmers. The problem is you can see some of the glue on his forehead and the hairline is a bit awkward. I I would worry about the glue showing even more if you used actual dolly hair, but if you're careful you might be able to pull it off. Something fluffy like mohair or wool roving may make it easier to cover the glue, but that may not be the style you're looking for.
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Postby maywong » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:59 am

maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby SetsunaKou » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:16 am

On really hard heads, try boiling them to soften them and then you can root the needle/thread method but every five minutes or so, you'll need to 'reboil' her head. (I'd suggest nylon hair so that when reboiling, it doesn't frizz up)

Or you can use the push method of rooting, then glue the inside to keep them in place.THat's the type of rooting that requires the rooting tool. (Or you can make your own with a cut-eye upholstery needle).

It's a horrible pain to root hard heads but aside from the wigs (which I love to use if the style/color can be found) you can root by boiling the head to soften it first.
^^
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby DollyKim » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's a Gene head so there's no real softening and I don't see it holding punched in locks. I'm not sure a curved needle will work either, the holes at the very back bottom practically face upward.

I haven't decided on a style so wool and flocking isn't completely out. If I did something like wool I'd go the Marcel route but I still want to weigh my options.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks