Go to footer

Hazel gets plastic surgery

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Hazel gets plastic surgery

Postby zirconmermaid » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:46 pm

Ok, there aren't any pictures, because I wouldn't have done it if I had to take pictures too. Many of you may not have notices that Hazel has had a nasty cut under her left eye for the last year. She took a bad fall and her old glasses cut her cheek. The cut was fairly deep, and there was a vinyl flap. I tried sandpaper gently, but it was too deep. The cut tended to pick up dirt (more than usual for Hazel) and that made it show even more. In face it tended to get embedded dirt! Very hard to keep clean.

Here is an older picture of her, you can just see the cut under her glasses on her left (our right)

So, today, with trepidation, I heated up a very small headed dental tool with a mild spoon shape on the stove and after washing Hazel's face, I smoothed the vinyl. I had read here about the spoon technique of repairing vinyl and thought it was worth a shot. I have to report that surgery was a success, and the scar is much less noticeable than before. Some small amount of vinyl ended up removed, and the remaining cut smoothed shut. We will see how it looks after some of Hazel's usual shenanigans, since she does seem to pick up dirt.

Here is a somewhat blurry after shot, but believe me, you would have been able to see it if it was still there.

She did get a nice wash first of course, and afterwards she recovered with a nice cup of tea in a MADh Vinyl mug. I was very happy that it came out so well. She is almost nine years old, and one of the original Haruka heads. This means that replacing her head with one of the same size is difficult! At that, her head is actually smaller than any other Haruka in the house! She is very special to me, and while the cut was bothering me, I really didn't want to make it worse.

So, if anyone has questions about more details, and what tool I used, just ask. Otherwise, join me in a great sigh of relief for a successful doll surgery!
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Re: Hazel gets plastic surgery

Postby oniakki » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:12 am

Yay, congrats on a successful repair!
oniakki
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:41 am

Congrats on the successful surgery!
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby K2! » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:31 pm

I'm a little late to the party, but I'm so sorry Hazel was injured but so glad the surgery was a success!
We need to talk about this procedure the next time I drop by.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks