Go to footer

Crochet problems

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Crochet problems

Postby DollyKim » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:48 pm

Thi is my second attempt at a Paradise Publications Crochet Collector Costume because the last had the same problem. I'm trying it on a TnT Barbie as I'm guessing she or a clone was the fit model. This is a pre Lady Paradise doll pattern and they're fatter than Barbie. The thread size is 10 as recommended, the hook is correct for gage, the initial chain was exactly right.

So why in the world is it too short? The top row should cover her breasts, the waist is where it should be. The width is correct and it fits her around.

DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Crochet problems

Postby Faydreams » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:30 am

My best guess is you are using more tension towards the end. The more tension you have on the yarn and needle the tighter the stitches are. This can cause them to shrink on you. I tend to have this trouble when I let my hand get overly tired from the repetitive motion. Give yourself a short break between the waist and finishing. Stretch your fingers and let them relax a while before finishing. That might help to loosen your grip and tension.
The pen is mightier than the sword.... Unless this is a sword fight.
Faydreams
Dolly Pardon

Postby DollyKim » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:32 am

I tried looser and with the next size up hook. :/ That got the length better for an Obitsu, but too big around in the bust, and still a bit too short for Barbie.

At least it'll work for the all crochet doll, she can squish and stretch.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Faydreams » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:50 pm

Might try adding an extra row or two before you do the finishing part.
The pen is mightier than the sword.... Unless this is a sword fight.
Faydreams
Dolly Pardon

Postby DollyKim » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:45 am

Duplicating the first row does seem like an option with this design. It's alternating rows of double shells with single crochet.

I wish someone on this board had experience with the Paradise patterns so I could know if it's how I crochet. My results have been hit and miss with doll clothes. I'm not quitting yet.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:51 am

Mkay, picked some Ravelry brains and I'm not the only one who's a bit off on some of these patterns so it's one of those personal gage and tension things where results may vary.

I'm still not done trying to make something from one of these patterns but I'll have to do some thinking first.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks