Go to footer

Questions about sealing...

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Questions about sealing...

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:12 pm

Urgh, I typed this up once already only to forget to hit the send button... and then have the contents lost because my login timed out. So, trying to recall just what I said while half-asleep now and was about to go to bed when I realized the goof.

Ok. I know a lot of people use MSC. However, I have a bit of a problem there. It's winter, and my windows are all sealed off. Even in summer, I have those lousy windows that don't even really open, they just tilt a bit. So I'd have to go outdoors to spray paint anything, and it would drive me half nuts trying to plan any painting ideas I have around the possible weather. Plus, I've never been all that great with spray paint, and I doubt I'd be any better with a spray sealant.

I don't use pastels when I do faceups, just acrylic paint. So I don't really think I'd need a spray on sealant if I could find one that brushed on instead. Does anyone here use a brush-on sealant?

I've seen on the onesixthwarriors forum where they use testors sometimes... but the Dragon heads I bought are a lot harder than most vinyl heads I'm used to. I can't imagine using an enamel on softer vinyl would be a good idea at all. It'd just crack off, if it didn't do something nasty to the vinyl. So, recommendations? Or do I just need to wait for spring, get a face mask, and learn to use spray cans..? (I really hope not)
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Questions about sealing...

Postby DollyKim » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:13 am

I have used Delta and Liquitex paint on sealers for my repainted Dragon and other solid heads, if I paint with it I'll seal with it. Liquitex matte of recent hasn't been completely flat so paint a test swatch and look at it in different light. I then put gloss on their eyes and lips if wanted. I'll use it to spot seal rooted heads.

Paint on a thin layer, watch for bubbles and try blowing on them to pop them, let dry. It's water based so temperature will affect the time. A layer or two usually does it.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:17 pm

So, basically I just need a clear acrylic paint? That makes things easier. (And makes me wonder why my big box of liquitex paints did not include clear. I didn't even know it came in clear...)
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby victoriavictrix » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:39 pm

Not just "clear." And not paint. You specifically need <i>matte sealer</i>. Sealer does a specific job that paint does not do; it penetrates all the layers and binds them.

It also puts a protective coat on the raw vinyl. If you don't want color to leech into the vinyl, you also need to seal <i>before</i> you paint. Otherwise you end up with stained heads.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby K2! » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:34 pm

Most sprays recommend application at temperatures higher than 55 degrees. This mostly applies to the surface temperature of that which is to be sprayed and the temperature of the spray can and its contents. I have numerous times taken a vinyl head and sealant (MSC) at room temperature, ran out to the porch, quick spray-spray, then run back in and replace the head in some place warm such as under a lamp, near a heat vent, etc. So the head was only exposed to the cold for less than 30 seconds or so and its surface/internal temperature hasn't dropped significantly. This technique can promote one quick heavy spray. Resist that temptation and stick with several light coats. Make sure the target and the spray warm up sufficiently between coats. There are of course limits to this technique, humidity (drier is better), cold (milder is better), wind, etc. Your mileage may vary.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:32 pm

victoriavictrix wrote:Not just "clear." And not paint. You specifically need <i>matte sealer</i>. Sealer does a specific job that paint does not do; it penetrates all the layers and binds them.

It also puts a protective coat on the raw vinyl. If you don't want color to leech into the vinyl, you also need to seal <i>before</i> you paint. Otherwise you end up with stained heads.

Something like this, then? This brand got mentioned on some British site I was looking at.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AF6QTC/ref ... CN7TE71EVX
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:18 am

That's the idea, just make sure you have enough for what you want to do.

The one I use is Liquitex http://www.amazon.com/Liquitex-Professional-Matte-Varnish-8-oz/dp/B000KNPLTM/ref=pd_sbs_ac_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0876S5Y94G6TRWJC8FSA It's really easy to find at just about any arts and craft store or place with a decent craft section. It kind of forms a layer of clear plastic over your work. My guys are holding up fine under the stuff, I use it for other projects, they know what they're doing in the acrylic world. I use their Modeling Paste to build up texture in hair and fill in small holes.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Eseme » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:21 pm

By Restore, most miniature model painters mean Restore Dullcote, which is a spray sealer that is extremely matt, and normally used to seal 2 inch high metal figures.

I have read that is can dry somewhat yellowish on dolls, and it is also a spray, not a paint-on sealer.

Living in Maine myself, it is generally too cold or raining to spray. I have not used brush on sealer, but I have readymany in the customizing Barbie world use it.

Eseme
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Eseme » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:22 pm

And autocorrect sucks, I mean Testors above. *sighs*
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Shyla » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:08 am

Has anyone tried to use a brush-on sealant in one of these?

I'm imagining the pump would clog pretty easily if you used undiluted stuff, but I did a few test sprays with thinned oh so thin black craft paint...

Here i started and ended the pass OFF the paper

Here I wasn't so careful.
my tumblr
my flickr
Ciero (RS Mu), Viridia (Gem of Doll Snowy on Resinsoul Ai body), Celia (RS Sophia), Nerri (IOS Luce) and Valnar (IOS Jaguar)
Shyla
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks