Go to footer

Unexpected Tools you (now) can't live without?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Unexpected Tools you (now) can't live without?

Postby Shyla » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:16 pm

There's always something that comes up and you end up repurposing something, it ends up being so handy, it becomes a permanent part of your toolbox.

Binder clips and manicure sticks

Manicure sticks are perfect seam pressers/point turners, paint stirrers. If your fabric is water safe, lightly spritz, use the stick to press and use a binder clip to hold the fabric down after pressing with the stick. Let dry. Iron free creases, though results can vary depending on the fabric.

Binder clips can be a replacement for pins when sewing tulle, vinyl or leather. Or when you don't want pointy things near your doll, but you need that mock-up to hold steady.
my tumblr
my flickr
Ciero (RS Mu), Viridia (Gem of Doll Snowy on Resinsoul Ai body), Celia (RS Sophia), Nerri (IOS Luce) and Valnar (IOS Jaguar)
Shyla
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Re: Unexpected Tools you (now) can't live without?

Postby richila » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:01 am

Binder clips are the best thing ever for making miniature books. Once you get everything glued together, clip it and leave it for 24 hours. The clip helps the spine set up like the spine of a real book.
A Micra leatherman is my go to tool. It has scissors, screwdrivers, tweezers and 2 rulers-inches and centimeters. Best of all, it fits on my keychain. :D
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby Greyhaunt » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:31 pm

Paperclips- particularly the pastic coated type, are also invaluable as a pin substitute for things like vinyl and leather :)
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby zirconmermaid » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:12 pm

Hemostats. Seriously. We use them all the time when sewing! Have you ever been threading elastic through a tiny channel, only to let go when you are almost done? Get out those hemostats! Chances are you can get to the elastic, grab it, and pull it out.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby Czanne » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:20 pm

A bone awl. Nothing sticks to it permanently, it's washable, so it's perfect for nudging things to be glued. Also makes perfect holes for eyelets without breaking the warp and weft so the eyelet doesn't pull out. The point is the right size for making thread loops instead of buttonholes.
Your kingdom is the earth on which you walk.
Czanne
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Greyhaunt » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:09 pm

zirconmermaid wrote:Hemostats. Seriously. We use them all the time when sewing! Have you ever been threading elastic through a tiny channel, only to let go when you are almost done? Get out those hemostats! Chances are you can get to the elastic, grab it, and pull it out.

Not to mention perfect for keeping the elastic from slipping back through the neckhole of your resin doll when you take the head off to work on it! Hemostats have soooo many uses!
Greyhaunt

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:16 am

Needle threader. Don't really want to play 'spot the needle hole and attempt to thread it' anymore, Its good for getting doll hair into the the needle as well as lacing up boots with stubborn laces and eyelets.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby DollyKim » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:47 am

A plastic spool holder for sewing thread. I can sit any 1/6 heads I'm working on on one of the pegs to dry.

*Here it is in use.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Shyla » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:26 am

Ooo, I hadn't thought of the paperclips. I found this at the dollar store and thought it would be handy,

It's no spool holder, but it'll probably get some use.
my tumblr
my flickr
Ciero (RS Mu), Viridia (Gem of Doll Snowy on Resinsoul Ai body), Celia (RS Sophia), Nerri (IOS Luce) and Valnar (IOS Jaguar)
Shyla
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby Greyhaunt » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:48 pm

It does look less like a celtic display of dead enemy trophies - your head can feel pretty while being worked on :)
Greyhaunt

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks