Go to footer

What air dry model compounds have long life? Dollykim-sama?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

What air dry model compounds have long life? Dollykim-sama?

Postby SetsunaKou » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:28 am

I'm reworking some horses I bought to become the Disney steeds, Major, Maximus and Khan and need a lot of apoxie sculpt/fixit sculpt to get, in particular, Khan's broad chest.(I know they made a real Maximus and Khan, but they're so tiny--it's sad!!!! So I found some larger 1/6 horses that'll work nicely but Khan's broadness is proving to be a challenge in the area of needing a compound to add to what the horse currently has to make him more accurate. ^^

I have the Fixit Sculpt but the stuff is so darn expensive that I'd really love some opinions/advice on any other air dry modeling compounds will 'last' years. I remember back in 1998, we used Model Magic and now that's cracking, and falling apart. Same with play-doh, but even worse! :laughs:

Is there any air dry compound that will work, maybe not as easily or well as Fixit Sculpt/Apoxie Sculpt, but that is less costly but will still last the test of time? It doesn't have to be super cheap or inexpensive, but less than $50 for 2 pounds would be lovely. ;)

I know Dollykim-sama has worked with a lot of different materials and would probably know what would be best to use.

If there's nothing, I'll just stick to the Fixit Sculpt and swallow the cost! :laughs:

Thanks for all and any advice, everyone!!!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Re: What air dry model compounds have long life? Dollykim-sa

Postby DollyKim » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:40 am

Apoxie Sculpt or Milliput should work. You can get small packages of both. Hobby Lobby carries Milliput and you can get coupons for the store.

There's even smaller packages of epoxy jewelry clay depending on how much or little you need.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby maywong » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:08 pm

This is what you need to do so it doesn't cost or weight a lot.
Use the air dry Playdo clay. It's light weight, air drys and is not that expensive. Molded it the shape you want onto your horse. Then let it air dry. Afterwards put a thin layer of the Apoxie Sculpt over it. This way you have the Apoxie S. that is more stable on the top. Having the light weight clay as filler not only saves on cost but also weight. As the Apoxie S. can get really heavy if you use too much of it.
Last edited by maywong on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby SetsunaKou » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:31 pm

DollyKim wrote:Apoxie Sculpt or Milliput should work. You can get small packages of both. Hobby Lobby carries Milliput and you can get coupons for the store.

There's even smaller packages of epoxy jewelry clay depending on how much or little you need.

Thanks, Kim-san!!!! I'll check into Milliput for my next projects! I didn't know it was similar to Apoxie sculpt!! ^^

maywong wrote:This is what you need to do so it doesn't cost or weight a lot.
Use the air dry Playdo clay. It's light weight, air drys and is not that expensive. Molded it the shape you want onto your horse. Then let it air dry. Afterwards put a thin layer of the Apoxie Sculpt over it. This way you have the Apoxie S. that is more stable on the top. Having the weight weight clay as filler not only saves on cost but also weight. As the Apoxie S. can get really heavy if you use too much of it.

Thanks,maywong-san!!!!! I actually sort of did something like that---I took some aluminum foil and polyfil stuffing to fill in his chest area, but your idea is even better for a smoother surface!

I'll dig up my old play doh and use it tomorrow on the neck and other parts that need more building up, too!!

THANK YOU!!!!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby maywong » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:56 pm

Ooops I didn't mean Play Doh. I was talking about this Crayola model clay that is very light weight.

http://www.michaels.com/crayola-model-m ... mendations
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks