Go to footer

MSC on Vinyl Heads?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

MSC on Vinyl Heads?

Postby SetsunaKou » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:58 am

Hi!

I'm wondering how MSC works on vinyl heads? I know some people use it on the 27cm Obitsu heads---does it ever get shiny/sticky/tacky after a few years on those?

I just bought the Disney Store 17" Elsa LE doll and I really don't like her iridescent face. (WHY on earth are the doll companies thinking that shiny pearly faces are nice??!) I'm thinking if I shoot a quick layer spray of MSC it will make her look less shiny/sweaty/pearly.

However, I don't want her to get tacky/more shiny after a year or two, which is what I've noticed seems to happen sometimes, especially on the softer vinyl heads. (Like the Volks 27cm heads)

Do you think the Disney Store heads will be safe to use it on? They have extra hard vinyl heads if that helps....

:)

~Setsuna
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Re: MSC on Vinyl Heads?

Postby K2! » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:50 pm

MSC works great on vinyl heads. I've used it on almost 3 dozen Obitsu and Parabox 1/3 scale vinyl heads and have had no problems.

My normal procedure is to wash the head (inside and out) with a mild detergent like dish soap, allow to dry thoroughly, then spray 2-3 light coats of MSC to "prime" the surface, allowing each coat to dry before applying the next one.

Some people have noted that MSC can get cloudy (as do other clear aerosol spray media), but in my experience that usually only occurs at surface temperatures (the temperature of the actual doll head) under 50 degrees Fahrenheit or under high humidity conditions. A sticky surface is usually caused again by high humidity, failure to allow the face-up or previous coat to dry before application, and/or applying a single heavy coat.

As with all aerosols wear personal protection equipment and spray in a location with good ventilation.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Kd_Bunchanumbers » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:33 am

Yeah all of my 1/6th scale dolls sprayed with MSC are still in perfect condition so I wouldn't worry.
Kd_Bunchanumbers
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Pandor » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:27 am

In my experience, MSC is the ONLY spray sealant that will work with vinyl heads.
Pandor
the walls have dolliehs

Postby SetsunaKou » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:58 am

Thanks, everyone! I think I'm going to do it....

She arrived yesterday and she is SOOOOO shiny--it's awful! (How on EARTH could Disney think this is a good idea?!)

Anyway, before I spray, does anyone know if MSC will take away the 'shininess' of iridescence? It's embedded all through the vinyl,(not just a layer of iridescent paint) and I'm hoping if I shoot a layer of MSC on her, she'll 'dull' but does anyone have experience attempting something similar? (Maybe a metallic layer that you sprayed MSC on top and it became less/dull metallic?)

From my experience, that's what happens but I wanted to know if anyone has actually done this on purpose and it worked.

:)

Thanks so much, K2-san, Kd-san and Pandor-san!!! :hugs:
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby SetsunaKou » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:59 am

Kd_Bunchanumbers wrote:Yeah all of my 1/6th scale dolls sprayed with MSC are still in perfect condition so I wouldn't worry.

Oh, I wanted to ask---even your Barbie heads? They have a softer/rubbery vinyl as compared to the Obitsu/Parabox heads. ^^

Thanks!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Kd_Bunchanumbers » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:00 am

SetsunaKou wrote:
Kd_Bunchanumbers wrote:Yeah all of my 1/6th scale dolls sprayed with MSC are still in perfect condition so I wouldn't worry.

Oh, I wanted to ask---even your Barbie heads? They have a softer/rubbery vinyl as compared to the Obitsu/Parabox heads. ^^

Thanks!

yep, its literally the only spray sealer i find that works on soft vinyl without going tacky and gross
Kd_Bunchanumbers
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks