Go to footer

Unnatural Skin Matching

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Unnatural Skin Matching

Postby Plague » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:27 pm

Hi there. I'm getting my first doll sometime soon, I ordered him from Angelesque/Hujoo in December, and he's in Hujoo Processing mode. I plan to order his sister at a later date, but the Berry head as opposed to the Jake head is a massive difference, so I was planning on ordering another Jake body and modifying breasts and maybe the eyes a little bit. But their skin is blue. D:

I'm new to dolls in general, and especially face-ups and body blushing (though I fully plan to do this myself and get good at it!) But I'm a little stumped on color combinations and what kinds of paint to use. Does anyone know what modeling clays stick well with paint so I can start experimenting with swatches to get the blue shade right without spotty clay?
Plague
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Re: Unnatural Skin Matching

Postby DollyKim » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:40 am

I painted a Hujoo Berry with thin layers of acrylic paint and then a clear coat on top. There is a bit of scratching where the joints rub but it's holding up. I unstrung her and painted each part individually.

Modeling clay never dries out, and it's usually oil based which doesn't play well with dolls so you'll want an air dry clay or a two part compound. Milliput might be the way to go, it's easy to find at places like Hobby Lobby that have model car and train supplies. It has a working time while it's soft then once it's dry you can paint, carve, sand, what ever. Acrylic paint should work on that.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Plague » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:37 pm

I'm limited to a bus-distance, and Hobby Lobby isn't near me. I have a Michael's down at our plaza which I could stop by one day during our shopping day, and am leaning more toward Epoxy or something. Whether it needs baked or not, I could just make the parts and glue them later.

It's getting the swatch right I'm curious about though.
Plague
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby DollyKim » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:28 am

Here's a been there done that with different clay brands viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7245
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks