Go to footer

Doing Things You 'Shouldn't' Do... And Precautions Taken

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Re: Doing Things You 'Shouldn't' Do... And Precautions Taken

Postby Jezrah » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:20 am

WhiteDove01s wrote:Personally, with some of the horror stories out there, I'd want to know where this guy got his degree, and if he secretly resented the time his wife spent on those dolls.

Agreed, I don't implicitly trust someone just because they have a degree. I have had too many disappointments caused by veterinarians and even several different MDs, so I have some skepticism for everybody no matter their station in life.

Also, I agree that I don't like that you have to use yet more chemicals to remove Remove Zit.
The Resin: Nerina (RS sky blue Mei)

The Small Wonder: currently unnamed 11cm Obitsu

The DDs: Ayano, Mitsuki, Akira, Kotone, Selena, Ichigo, Lydia, Hiroki, Kate, Hikari
Jezrah
i see dead dolliehs

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:14 am

Jezrah wrote:Agreed, I don't implicitly trust someone just because they have a degree. I have had too many disappointments caused by veterinarians and even several different MDs, so I have some skepticism for everybody no matter their station in life.

Yeah, a piece of paper with a college's name on it says nothing about a person's motivations or personality. And with the state of education these days, sometimes it doesn't even say much about actual competence.

Given that it's also what's said on the internet (minus some veracity points there without references or doublechecking) as part of advertising to sell a product (minus a whole lot more - I make a point NEVER to take any ads at face value), I really couldn't care two shakes about the inventor's supposed background. The first-hand reports from people using the stuff get precedence, especially if they include pictures to handle the 'things heard on the internet' veracity issue. And there are enough flops there for me to treat it with caution.

Anything I do to my dolls, I run tests and experiments first... no matter WHO told me it was safe. For that matter, I test even if it was safe for me on a different doll.

Jezrah wrote:Also, I agree that I don't like that you have to use yet more chemicals to remove Remove Zit.

Yeah. From what I read on the site, you aren't supposed to wash between applications, and it's not water soluble. When it's completely dry you can apparently pry it off with a pin and then it takes a few weeks for the remainder of the residue to supposedly evaporate and completely leave the doll. (All the while it's... what? Releasing unknown chemical fumes into your home? Or are you supposed to leave the doll outside or in a chem-lab vent hood for this?)

And if you want it removed any sooner you have to use their other product, Formula 411. There are also a lot of warnings on the product page about how it can strip the dye from vinyl because 'dye is a stain'. Given the different types and qualities of dyes used, I expect it'd be even rougher on cheap playline dolls than it is on more expensive dolls, as they probably also use cheaper dyes.

The part that sticks with me is I can't find an ingredients list anywhere. Not on the page, and the image looks like the jar is completely white except the product name. They're probably claiming it's 'proprietary information'.

At least with the acne creme, there is an ingredients list. I can look every single one of those up and examine their MSDS chemical safety sheets. The only one in my current acne cream that I see that might be slightly harmful to the underlying vinyl (as opposed to just the dyes in it) is isopropyl myristate. This is essentially an extremely mild lab-produced equivalent to a skin oil (myristic acid) that's suspended in rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol). It's about the fourth thing down on the list of inactive ingredients. The way I see it, it's presence in a reasonably small amount makes using the acne cream on vinyl the equivalent of touching my doll a lot without special white cotton gloves on. (And to be honest, the methylparaben and magnesium aluminum silicate are probably safer for the dolls than for me.)

I handle my dolls a whole lot, and I don't scrub em with soapy water every time I touch. I do, however, wash thoroughly after using any chemical like the acne cream... so on the whole, I figure my playing with them is doing more super-miniscule degrees of harm than the rare times I might have to remove a stain.
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Greyhaunt » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:37 am

OK - let me say something here and now because I'm not liking some of the way this discussion is going.

A) No one on this forum is an "expensive doll snob". No one. We don't tolerate that and this forum was created specifically to fill a niche because of doll snobbery in other places. I've got no clue what dolls you are talking about unless you specify them and I know you've mentioned playline dolls but I'm speaking from my experience which is with the Obitsu large dolls as is K2.

B) If you start a thread - expect people to have a different viewpoint than you. If you don't like their viewpoint feel free to discuss your reasons for that - but there is no need for the large sarcastic warning you've put in your signature. It is uncalled for and quite frankly an over-reaction based on the assumption that we don't like your dolls just because they are not expensive and may be second hand. Guess what - I created and run this forum and I have a box full of bald blank faced monster high dolls that I plan on customizing and ALL of them were purchased from Goodwill and similar "cheap" establishments. There are even a few Barbie and a Bratz or two in there. My comment about the cost of Twin Pines versus replacing doll parts was in reference to Jezrah's Dollfie Dream - which are large vinyl dolls comparable to the Obitsu. Just because only four people are participating in this discussion doesn't mean others aren't reading it - others who have playline dolls and other who have the larger dolls and I take that fact into account when I reply because someone reading and contemplating the options being presented should have all aspects mentioned.

c) none of us care what you use to clean your dolls - but since you started a thread and mentioned a product that many of us use happily and rely on you have to expect us to share our experience. It's the sort of thing we do around here. We aren't dissing you, we aren't insulting you or your dolls, we are sharing.

d) don't assume you are the only poverty struck person on this forum. I lost my job two years ago and had minimal income for well over a year after that so trust me, I wasn't running out and buying new dolls of ANY kind, nor was I buying any Twin Pines or anything else. So yes, I resent your assumption that I am some kind of elitist because of my view point.

e) Finally, and this is just sort of a person issue of mine - I really think the implication that the creator of Twin Pines resented his wife's doll hobby and what that might mean for his creation of the product is uncalled for and rather silly. His wife is dead and has been for many years. If Remove Zit was some sort of anti-doll thing then he could have stopped at that point, couldn't he? I spoke to him once when there was a delivery issue with an order - he is an extremely nice elderly man, not a mad scientist.
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:28 am

A) If I became overly defensive at a perceived slight that was not intended, then I apologize. I will remove my sig image from this forum. (But I am keeping it on my blog because I am by nature a sarcastic person and I happen to like it.)

B) I don't mind differing opinions. What set me off was the implication that RemoveZit is 100% safe when people have had problems. I felt this was misleading. Nothing is 100% safe. Not RemoveZit, and not the acne cream either. However, I don't want to turn this into some huge argument thread over something that is apparently a lot more of a hot-button topic than I realized. If you wish to lock the post, please feel free to do so.

C) If I can be blatantly honest, some of it felt less like sharing opinions and more like a sales pitch. (or as I joked to the Evil Overlord "I think I accidentally wandered into the Church of Twin Pines and insulted their religion"). I realize it probably wasn't meant to be that way - one big problem with the internet is that social cues like tone, inflection, body language are not present in print often making people's words seem more blunt or aggressive than they are. I was also not the first person to mention the RemoveZit product, as I would have considered it off-topic as it's actually made for dolls. The entire thread became very derailed from my original intent once it became part of the discussion, and for that I apologize.

D) I know I'm not. It's something I was discussing with someone else rather recently, and was actually part of why I started this thread in the hopes of sharing some of the more unusual work-arounds that people might have. And discussing the bad sides of them as well as the good, like how the acne cream /can/ overbleach a doll or cause yellowing that in some cases is almost orange. I like knowing all the risks of things, or at least as many of them as I can learn.

E) I don't know the person. All I know is it seemed to cause offense when I mentioned that the product is not infallible. I apologize for any misunderstandings or offense I may have caused and again say that if you wish to lock this thread you may do so. As for myself, I think I'll avoid this subject in the future as I had no wish to cause this much drama.
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Anderson'sAllPurpose » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:08 pm

My two cents regarding dolls and chemicals:

I don't really have a good decision making process for this. When I started out in this hobby I felt I should learn to Do Things Properly (my usual perfectionist beginner stance), but things turned out to be more complicated than that. Thing is, I had pretty much zero chemistry classes in school, and I really don't feel I'm able to make a informed decision about the various cleaning methods and how they interact with various kinds of plastic. Usually I try to err on the side of caution and use something that may hurt the doll rather than hurt me. This may on occasion be bordering on phobia, but like I said: zero chemistry knowledge.

For example, I read acetone was bad for vinyl, so I bought isopropyl alcohol, but the warning label gave me the heebie-jeebies and I decided I'd rather just buy a bottle of nail polish remover (with acetone, since I found it was so much more effective in taking the face up off) and possibly sacrifice a doll or two, than worry about my health.
I got a can of MSC, and then I read all about the health hazards of inhaling aerosols and the importance of proper protective gear, and ultimately decided it wasn't worth the worry. Also, I live in an apartment and I have no idea where I'd go to spray that stuff where I can be sure nobody else is exposed.
I have successfully treated a severely stained Barbie head with vaseline, which isn't recommended either. (Successfully in that the stains went away. I haven't performed any chemical analyses on the vinyl.) Never tried zit cream. I do have some Remove-Zit, but I've only used it once. With the international shipping it gets really expensive, so I'm not sure I feel like would be worth the price again. Maybe if it came in smaller quantities. Nowadays I usually just leave the stains where they are.

Basically... I'm not sure. Mostly I make my doll cleaning decisions based on a mess of prejudice, hearsay and convenience, and so far I've done ok, more or less.
dollieh pics|old dollieh rants|ALL NEW dollieh rants
OMG, I can't believe I'm almost 11 and still play with Barbie dolls! If anyone find out I'm gonna die!!!1!
- my diary, c. 1991

...How long has that "s" in my signature been missing? - me, 2016
Anderson'sAllPurpose
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Greyhaunt » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:35 pm

WhiteDove01s wrote:A) If I became overly defensive at a perceived slight that was not intended, then I apologize. I will remove my sig image from this forum. (But I am keeping it on my blog because I am by nature a sarcastic person and I happen to like it.)

By all means use it on your blog - it is funny and entertaining, just not quite right for here since a new person might take it seriously :)

If you wish to lock the post, please feel free to do so.

No, I prefer not to lock a topic unless I absolutely have to. And honestly, I don't think cleaners are so much a hot button topic to be avoided as simply something folks may disagree on and I think that there was misunderstanding on both sides.

The entire thread became very derailed from my original intent once it became part of the discussion, and for that I apologize.

Thread derailment is a common problem around here - we roll with it and try to go back to the original intent :) You're right though, the problem with online writing is that we can't see the smile or hear the sarcasm etc... Which is why poop happens and we eventually smooth it over.

All I know is it seemed to cause offense when I mentioned that the product is not infallible. I apologize for any misunderstandings or offense I may have caused and again say that if you wish to lock this thread you may do so. As for myself, I think I'll avoid this subject in the future as I had no wish to cause this much drama.

I don't think there was any offense, per se, so much as a bit of overreaction on both sides probably to what were not meant to be controversial comments. Like I said before, I see no reason to lock the thread, issues have been resolved, we can go on talking about whatever is appropriate, shake hands, kick back, have an ice tea and some cookies :) Cause, well, I live in Arizona and it's frigging hot here already so ice tea sounds really good right about now LOL.
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby OkamiKodomo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:01 pm

On the topic of the Title, things that "shouldn't" be done, I find that if someone has the means, whether that be monetarily, or with a readily available supply of materials, then experimentation like what WhiteDove is doing, is actually really quite smart. That is how new methods are discovered.

I have handled enough resin dolls and stripped them bare to know not all plastics are created equal. One of the biggest no-no's with stripping a resin doll is soaking in solvents. Supposedly, it will melt your doll! But with the availability of resin samples in my household (we can pour some if we ever need them), I have been able to experiment with all kinds of stuff. One thing I found was that soaking my dolls in alcohol for LIMITED amounts of time, rinsing immediately, and washing, was actually quite effective in removing heavy layers of blushing. I also learned that if you have a doll sealed with Minwax Polycrylic spray (have not tried it yet on the brush-on kind) that the rubbing alcohol soak will peel the polycrylic off in large chunks, rather than little flakes, and it is less likely to just redistribute the pigment. This method needs precautions as well. For one thing, you should be doing it next to a sink with the tap turned on in the event that bad things happen. Also make sure that you don't have any open wounds on your hands, as 91% isopropyl alcohol stings like nobody's business.

I think any time one reads a review or tutorial on a certain method or product, there should always be a caveat to the effect of "your results may vary", especially when dealing with chemistry. Most people swear by Windsor & Newton Brush Cleaner to clean off face-ups on resin, but freak out when you suggest using it on vinyl doll heads, and instead recommend nail polish remover of the non-acetone variety to clean off old factory paint. Meanwhile, in my personal experience, W&N works fabulously on soft vinyl, and not as well as everyone says on resin. I've removed almost a dozen monster high face-ups with it. But the nail polish remover only smeared the partially-dissolved factory paint onto the face, and I had a devil of a time trying to clean it.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:08 pm

Anderson'sAllPurpose wrote:Thing is, I had pretty much zero chemistry classes in school, and I really don't feel I'm able to make a informed decision about the various cleaning methods and how they interact with various kinds of plastic. Usually I try to err on the side of caution and use something that may hurt the doll rather than hurt me. This may on occasion be bordering on phobia, but like I said: zero chemistry knowledge.

My gran had emphysema and a host of allergies, so even when I was a kid all my 'experiments' were laced with a large degree of precautions about fumes, chemical toxicity, and so on. I probably learned more chemistry, biology, and first-aid levels of medicine from her than I learned in school. My mind has mercifully blocked out 85% of my memories of public education... There are things I'm unlikely to use on my dolls because I'm more concerned about something in them making me ill. My bedroom has one useable narrow window that opens casement-style, so there's pretty much no ventilation in here. If there's anything with fumes involved, I have to take it outside - or not use it at all. And aerosols are right out for me, as is anything that contains or has a scent like chlorine bleach (The Evil Overlord might have to handle that one for the upcoming 'Will It Melt Hair Glue' experiments). I don't have my gran's issues, but for some reason chlorine is one of the few chemicals that will set me off and make me ill until it completely dissipates.

Almost contradictorily, I do have a more relaxed attitude than most to some chemicals. I make my own soap from scratch, and being in the same room with lye doesn't scare me, though I make sure to take good precautions.

I've used rubbing alcohol (the lower grade, 70% stuff) to remove goofs I've made in just-done faceups where the paint has dried just too much to wipe off. It's kept on hand here for first aid reasons too, so I've never thought about it not being safe. When I found the Backroom Barbie Stash, I tried the non-acetone nailpolish remover (actually bought it specifically for the job), and had it fail to make a dent in the faceups. The most it managed was a little smudging on one. At that time I was still new to it and I was in a pretty over-cautious phase too. So many people were saying acetone is a "NO!" but none of them were saying why. I had horrible thoughts of gooey, melting doll heads. But... I've always been one of those people for whom a simple 'no' just grates a bit. My grandparents early on learned to instead give me a 'no, and here's why'. As long as I understand the reasons I'm fine. I ended up taking a near-ruined Barbie head and trying some acetone nailpolish, expecting a mess. I got it - though in my case because it smudged the paint around really badly rather than because of any vinyl damage. (I actually expected the damped q-tip to melt a hole in the doll head like acid! It was almost disappointing.) Eventually, I hit on my current method, which I'll mention in a bit.

Greyhaunt wrote:not quite right for here since a new person might take it seriously :)

Yeah, it's probably a bad idea to ever take me too seriously, at least some 85% of the time. I do get called the Mad Scientist for reasons. XD And it's not usually because of a temper...

OkamiKodomo wrote:On the topic of the Title, things that "shouldn't" be done, I find that if someone has the means, whether that be monetarily, or with a readily available supply of materials, then experimentation like what WhiteDove is doing, is actually really quite smart. That is how new methods are discovered.

Thanks. :) One thing I have is that when I first got into dolls (in fact, what actually really got me into dolls) is the bunch of Barbies I found in the back room. We were cleaning up in there after a ceiling leak. While I've salvaged some heads, some hair, etc... most of the dolls are really ruined. Many of them had chewed legs, some broken fingers, matted hair, broken neck pegs... My best guess is that they belonged to the last people my grandfather tried renting this place to. I tried to fix up the ones that could be, just to see if I could. (One of the very few that was still in good condition (after a good cleaning and detangling) I rehomed, sending to Eseme back when she was looking for dolls for a coworker's child whose house had burned down.)

As for the rest, using them to experiment on just seemed a lot better use that tossing them. I hate to throw away anything if I can find any use for it. There's a ranking to my dolls... the ones I get emotionally attached to that have names and are on my shelves, the ones I have just to sew for that are on shelves but don't have names or characters of their own yet... and the ruined Parts Bin/Backroom Dolls that are experiment fodder. (well, and I also have a few extra bodies on hand just in case.)

Sometime this summer I plan to take a backroom head (there's a bald one with a scalp split that will probably be used, I managed to salvage the hair from it for possible later use) and soak it in acetone, taking measurements to document the swelling and later shrinkage caused. I also plan to take a section of leg and cover half of it heavily with acne cream and place it in sunlight, documenting the bleaching in one-day increments (maybe with a sticker on part of the uncoated area so I can also differentiate from any sun-bleaching that may occur). In both cases, just to see how bad I can get it.

I've just always been the sort who, when I hear a 'no', my first question is 'why'. There are a lot of 'whys' I'm willing to accept. (example: Don't mix bleach and ammonia, it will create a toxic gas that smells like rotten eggs and can kill you.) Others... Others I want better specifics on. XD

OkamiKodomo wrote:For one thing, you should be doing it next to a sink with the tap turned on in the event that bad things happen. Also make sure that you don't have any open wounds on your hands, as 91% isopropyl alcohol stings like nobody's business.

That's one reason I try to stick to water soluble stuff in experiments. If there's one detail about chemistry worth remembering, it's why labs tend to have an open shower area in them. I know I come off sometimes as if i don't care what happens, but I go into every new experiment half-expecting something to start to melt, bubble, or do something else it shouldn't. My room is right next to the bathroom. Anything with 'short term exposure only' chemicals is done right next to the bathroom sink unless it has to be done outside for fume reasons - in which case, bowl of water nearby to dunk it in while I run to the bathroom. XD

OkamiKodomo wrote:I think any time one reads a review or tutorial on a certain method or product, there should always be a caveat to the effect of "your results may vary", especially when dealing with chemistry.

*nods* I think a lot of people expect that since chemistry is a science, everything is always going to be 100% the same every time. And that would be true, if you were dealing with exactly identical substances of known purity every time. But because every batch of vinyl, or resin, or any other plastic is likely to be different (different factories, changes in formula, different plasticisers, different dyes), then you're constantly dealing with a big unknown variable in the very substance you're trying to test. It means that no result or method will ever be 100% perfect.

OkamiKodomo wrote: Most people swear by Windsor & Newton Brush Cleaner to clean off face-ups on resin, but freak out when you suggest using it on vinyl doll heads, and instead recommend nail polish remover of the non-acetone variety to clean off old factory paint. Meanwhile, in my personal experience, W&N works fabulously on soft vinyl, and not as well as everyone says on resin. I've removed almost a dozen monster high face-ups with it. But the nail polish remover only smeared the partially-dissolved factory paint onto the face, and I had a devil of a time trying to clean it.

Oooo... I am going to have to try that. I have a method I love to use for removing just parts of a faceup, but occasionally I can miss tiny spots or it leaves a little smudge behind. And I planned on picking some of that up anyway. I don't have much in the way of pricy tools, but I do have a couple $5 brushes that I try to take the best care of I can (they're meant for Wargamer miniatures - the Insane Detail Brush and the Psycho XD)

I had the same problems with nail polish remover early on when I tried it, though in my case the non-acetone kind barely made a dent and the acetone kind made a smudgy mess.

My current method for removing faceups is one I don't think ANYONE else uses. Often, I like to just remove parts of a faceup so I can use the rest as a guide for redoing the face. And I also 'de-grin' Barbie heads a lot, and since the superglue will smear paint really badly and make it a hard-to-remove mess, it's best to pre-remove any paint on the lips and mouth...

I use a dremel. Well, actually, I use an off-brand rotary tool. I'm fairly sure attacking a doll's faceup with a power tool falls into the "Is it time for your meds?" category of things that shouldn't be done (my answer there is: Yes! I self-medicate with chocolate, which is a mild natural mood balancer and antidepressant, and as far as I am concerned it is almost always time for my meds! XD)

There's a particular tip that ends in a point. I've found I can use it and a gentle touch to basically sand off the factory facepaint. The vinyl stretches and gives enough to where I'd have to press down more to affect it. (Which I have - I've also used the same tool with different tips to put wrinkles on a Barbie head to make her old, and reshape a jawline on another to make them like a very bishie male). Basically, the paint just gives out first. When I altered Meritamen's faceup, this is how I removed the eyeshadow and big eyelashes on the lower part of her eyes while leaving the rest in place as a guide to paint over. One downside is that it's essentially powdering the paint in the process, and it can kind of rub that powder into the vinyl at the same time... so sometimes it leaves behind a few light smudges. Usually these come off with water, soap, and a toothbrush much like if they were a badly done unsealed blushing job done with chalk pastels... but I figure someday I'll have a stubborn case, or a softer or harder vinyl that insist on scratching up instead of giving up its paint. For now, tho, that's the method that works best for me.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby OkamiKodomo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:26 pm

Hey WhiteDove, I have a request, if you have the means! Does the dremel work to remove baked on pigments from china dolls? I have a beautiful specimen from my late grandmother's collection that I want to keep for myself, rather than sell, but I want to restore her to something that fits better into my collection, however this girl is irreplaceable, as, like I said, she belonged to my grandmother. If you don't have a china doll in your bin o' sacrificial dolls, I may have to head over to the local Goodwill and see if there is one worth mugging for clothing whose face could be donated to the cause.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby WhiteDove01s » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:49 pm

Surprisingly, tho they're not really my niche, you are in luck. Among the victims of the black mold outbreak that followed the ceiling leak were a couple china dolls. I saved the heads and the limbs (tho some of the latter are broken). I looked around and managed to find the baggie the parts from one of them is in. (a brown-skinned one I think was originally dressed as Amerind). The lips and also the blushing are far too red/pink to look right with the doll's skin tone anyway, making it a perfect test subject. One difference I'm thinking to make so far is one I know from any kind of stone or tilework (yay for family construction background), and be sure to work with the surface wet to help prevent chipping.

I'll try to get to the test this evening or tommorow, time permitting, and will let you know the results and post pictures. :)
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks