Go to footer

Acrylic gloss medium not drying properly

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Acrylic gloss medium not drying properly

Postby yarwel » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:49 pm

I've been having trouble with acrylic gloss medium staying tacky when I use it on polymer clay(ordinary acrylics dry just fine on the stuff). Does this always happen? Is there something else I should be using for polymer clay?
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Acrylic gloss medium not drying properly

Postby DollyKim » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:26 pm

Get a polymer clay gloss glaze, comes in a little bottle by the clay its self. It's probably a chemical thing, or the difference between a medium and a top coat or varnish. I've put acrylic paint clear coats over painted polymer pieces but not on bare clay.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby yarwel » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:35 pm

Thanks, I suppose that probably is better for polymer. Is the polymer clay gloss something that needs to be baked or is it air-dry?
I also just noticed my gloss medium is a little tacky on faceups(over multiple layers of citadel purity seal). I have been mixing the medium with a little water to thin it. Would that make a difference?
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:03 pm

I don't know about the polymer gloss, the liquid adhesive I use requires baking.

I don't use medium so I don't really know about that but not curing sounds like a chemical reaction gone wrong.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby SoapBubbles » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:02 pm

Rather late response but: Are you using an acrylic gloss medium from Liquitex by any chance? The Liquitex company makes two types of gloss mediums: one that has a green coloured label and one that has a red coloured label. The green one is reputed to remain tacky no matter how thin you apply it or how long you wait.
~**~ My Family of 3: Niel (BF TF/MNF Hybrid), Eira (Soom LG), & Mare (Soom TG). ~**~
SoapBubbles
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby yarwel » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:22 pm

Thank you for replying! But no, it's not Liquitex, it's the Blick store brand. I don't know if that makes any difference.
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks