Go to footer

Attaching tail to resin need advice. (backside nudity)

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Attaching tail to resin need advice. (backside nudity)

Postby Shyla » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:27 am

K2 solved my problem for Ciero's tail in my squid plushy post when recommending the doll armature, I wanted something poseable that wouldn't turn into a handful of sharp. But the armature I found locally is heavy, and the tail is pretty long.

As long as the tail is angled right it's mostly fine.

But if it's at the wrong angle...
And then it falls off.

I thought about gluing it to a belt, but anything strong enough to hold it without warping would be too bulky to fit right under clothes. Right now I have three magnets held inside with eye putty, but it's at one of the thickest parts of the resin.

The magnets might be too small, so next shopping day I was going to pick up larger ones. I was also thinking of using something to make a broader base like this. (that one's made of polymer clay)

I think I'm heading in the right direction. I'm still too nervous to inset the magnet externally, I've got the tools for it. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. ^.^
my tumblr
my flickr
Ciero (RS Mu), Viridia (Gem of Doll Snowy on Resinsoul Ai body), Celia (RS Sophia), Nerri (IOS Luce) and Valnar (IOS Jaguar)
Shyla
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Re: Attaching tail to resin need advice. (backside nudity)

Postby K2! » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:22 pm

Maybe you need one of these bad boys on the inside:
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D88-N52

1/2" X 1/2", pull force 18-20 pounds!

And then find the biggest one with the highest pull force you can comfortably put in the end of the tail:
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/magnetsummary.asp

Just make sure you read their safety page as this will get you up into the danger zone.
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/safety.asp

Remember to check polarity so the magnets are set to attract not repel each other before you get any glue out!
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Shyla » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:05 am

Thank you, K-2! I spent a good chunk of time just browsing the site before I ordered that one and two 1/4"x1" cylinders, one axially and one diametrically magnetized .

My hubby pointed out it's more natural for the tail to lay flat against the buttocks since it should be an extension of his spine. I'll play with them both before I make I break out the glue, to see which works out better.
my tumblr
my flickr
Ciero (RS Mu), Viridia (Gem of Doll Snowy on Resinsoul Ai body), Celia (RS Sophia), Nerri (IOS Luce) and Valnar (IOS Jaguar)
Shyla

Postby Shyla » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:25 am

Magnets came in yesterday, nothing's affixed permanently yet. I've got the vinyl cover on the tail in these. Using the diametrically magnetized one.
Imagecraptastic sewing on Flickr

Definitely couldn't have done this with the old magnets!

They even stick through the pants. :D There's some wobble, but much less falling off now. I lost his horns more than his tail taking these. I'm going to attempt to sculpt a base to cover the magnet and raw edges of the cover, eventually.
my tumblr
my flickr
Shyla

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks