Go to footer

HELP! Removing a magnet from headcap?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

HELP! Removing a magnet from headcap?

Postby Stormlight » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:11 am

Urgh, I am so upset right now. I finally sold my DOC elf Ivan on DOA, and was getting him cleaned up and ready to package and I take his headcap off, and there comes the magnet with it.

Stupid me, I think I'll just try and reglue it back in. So. I add a dot of superglue into his head where the magnet should go, and I am being very very very careful to get the magnet in right so the polarity isn't reversed.

Well, guess what. The polarity got reversed anyway (I'm STILL trying to figure that one out. I was so sure I pushed it in the right way!) And now his headcap will not properly close, and I can't for the life of me get the damned magnet out again!

I've already tried soaking the headcap in non-acetone polish remover. Now I've got the headcap in the freezer because I read that frozen glue gets brittle and the magnet might be able to be knocked out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. But ANY other suggestions anyone might have will be gratefully considered.

The worst part is this poor girl already PAID me. She was buying the doll for a non-DOA friend who gave her the money... I just sent her a message explaining the situation, begging for her forgiveness and told her I'll issue her an immediate refund if she requests one. I'm so thoroughly embarrassed. Up until now I had perfect feedback as a seller but I imagine my reputation is about to shrivel a bit.

*sighs* I just want to get rid of this damned doll. I'm starting to think the thing is cursed and he's taking revenge on me for attempting to sell him. This is the first time anything like this has happened to me. :cry:
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Re: HELP! Removing a magnet from headcap?

Postby Greyhaunt » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:21 am

I read once on DoA that if you put something superglued in the freezer that you can easily remove the glue once you take it out. Maybe look up superglue in DoA's Workshop area for the details :)
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby K2! » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:33 am

Be careful with freezing any dollieh part as the resin will get brittle also.
There is a super glue remover made by Duro, which is available at hardware stores. It should work with most brands of super glue as they all use a similar formulation.
http://www.buyacehardware.com/super-glu ... 13218.html
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Stormlight » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:48 pm

I thought of that (and the freezer, but that didn't work), but my worry about a remover is that it will damage the resin, too, since superglue is resin-based (or so I read).
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Sixoclock » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:38 pm

Have you tried dabbing some winsor and newton brush cleaner on there? I ahve used that to remove super glue as well as gorilla glue before. I was also super careful to throroughly rinse the head cap each time after wiping it with the stuff. Sometimes it take a few tries but it worked for me.
Sixoclock
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks