Go to footer

What sticks to vinyl?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

What sticks to vinyl?

Postby Carrillo » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:02 pm

I've got some vinyl heads, and I wanted to sculpt some stuff on them. I used epoxy putty, which stuck okay one one side but not the other due to me being silly and doing the sculpting before the reroot (yup, squishing the vinyl doesn't help.)

I tried gluing it back with epoxy glue but it's not a strong bond. It works for display, but I don't think it'll stand up to handling.

So firstly, is there something I can use to sculpt onto vinyl and it actually sticks? Failing that, is there something that will glue sculpted pieces to vinyl?

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere, I'm new here. :)
I have 20+ BJDs... I was only gonna get one...
Carrillo
i see dead dolliehs

Re: What sticks to vinyl?

Postby SetsunaKou » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:58 pm

Carrillo wrote:I've got some vinyl heads, and I wanted to sculpt some stuff on them. I used epoxy putty, which stuck okay one one side but not the other due to me being silly and doing the sculpting before the reroot (yup, squishing the vinyl doesn't help.)

I tried gluing it back with epoxy glue but it's not a strong bond. It works for display, but I don't think it'll stand up to handling.

So firstly, is there something I can use to sculpt onto vinyl and it actually sticks? Failing that, is there something that will glue sculpted pieces to vinyl?

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere, I'm new here. :)

:) :hugs: I've done exactly that so I know how frustrating it can be!!

For us, the only glue I've found that will actually adhere to the vinyl pretty permanently and sturdily (still not 100% perfect, but pretty close!) is the hobby glue 'e6000' It's not instant and takes 10-15 minutes to take; then 1 hour to 'dry' but 24 hrs for full strength bond. However, it does work pretty well and after 15 years of trial and error with SO MANY types of glues/adhesives/caulk and more, it's pretty much the only stuff that works on vinyl well enough to call it 'permanent.'

Good luck!!!!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Eseme » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:22 pm

I have not tried anything like this, but I have to say that if SetsunaKou recommends it, it works! You just joined, so you may not have seen her amazing website of custom work, or her posts here, but trust me, she really knows customs! She has been working in 1/6 scale for years and does amazing faceups.

Her Faceup thread is here- you will be AMAZED!

http://dolliehsanctuary.com/sanctuary/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1404

Eseme
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Carrillo » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:42 pm

Thanks! I used epoxy and its stayed so far, but I have some e6000 so if they pop off again, I'm ready!
I have 20+ BJDs... I was only gonna get one...
Carrillo
i see dead dolliehs

Postby SetsunaKou » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:16 pm

Eseme wrote:I have not tried anything like this, but I have to say that if SetsunaKou recommends it, it works! You just joined, so you may not have seen her amazing website of custom work, or her posts here, but trust me, she really knows customs! She has been working in 1/6 scale for years and does amazing faceups.

Her Faceup thread is here- you will be AMAZED!

http://dolliehsanctuary.com/sanctuary/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1404

Eseme

Oh my goodness, Eseme-san!! :hugs: Your post/comment just made my day! I've been feeling a more than a little poorly today (shoulder and back pains) and when I read your ultra kind words----it brought a smile to my face and a happy feeling inside that you like our work that much to recommend! :hugs again: THANK YOU! I'm so humbled and honored....

:cries in gratitude:
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby K2! » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:06 am

Eseme wrote:I have not tried anything like this, but I have to say that if SetsunaKou recommends it, it works!

Second that. I've been working with vinyls for over 7 years and when SetsunaKou mentioned E6000 I went out an got a tube the next day.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Eseme » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:44 pm

Oh my goodness, Eseme-san!! :hugs: Your post/comment just made my day! I've been feeling a more than a little poorly today (shoulder and back pains) and when I read your ultra kind words----it brought a smile to my face and a happy feeling inside that you like our work that much to recommend! :hugs again: THANK YOU! I'm so humbled and honored....

:cries in gratitude:

You are welcome. Your work is very inspiring, and it definitely brings me joy to see what you have created.

Eseme
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Postby SetsunaKou » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:07 pm

K2! wrote:
Eseme wrote:I have not tried anything like this, but I have to say that if SetsunaKou recommends it, it works!

Second that. I've been working with vinyls for over 7 years and when SetsunaKou mentioned E6000 I went out an got a tube the next day.

:hugs: K2-sama! I'm just.....no words can express how humbled I am by your post. Thank you for the vote of confidence, too! :) I do try to share whatever knowledge I've accumulated with fellow doll lovers/makers. I know I could use advice on products to use and want to help if I can others in the same predicaments. :)

And I have to say, oh wow......you're all so kind here on DS! :cries: I truly feel that we're a big extended family here and whenever I just want to feel at ease and at 'home', I come to DS! (Which is at least once a day most times!) No pressure, no stress---just a fun and loving environment!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby embyquinn » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:53 am

From personal experience, I have to second (third? fourth?) the recommendation of E6000 for sticking just about anything to just about anything else. A very light coat is best because it can get gloppy if you're not careful, but it's absolutely first-rate as an all-purpose adhesive.

And as a side note, SetsunaKou is an acknowledged expert on many things dollieh and I always read her posts with interest. Cherry and I heart you, SK! <3 <3 lessthanthree!!!
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby maywong » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:20 pm

You can also try Sugru. It sticks to anything and stays flexible. It works great.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks