Go to footer

Using FLOOR COATING on dolls. :D

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Using FLOOR COATING on dolls. :D

Postby GooglyDooglyV.2 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:17 pm

Well you should! I'm a long-time model kit builder, and Future floor wax/coating is pretty much the Holy Grail of sealing paint jobs in that hobby. I can't see why we can't use this on our dolls. Here's a great site that explains Future quite a bit.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

What are the pros of using Future on dolls?

*It's acrylic-based, so it is completely safe on resin.
*It doesn't yellow when exposed to direct sunlight, or yellow with age.
*It's designed to protect floors from heavy traffic, so if you use it as a sealer on dolls, your faceups or body blushing is pretty much bullet-proof.
* Easy to clean, since it's acrylic-based.

What are the downside?
* It doesn't come in a spray can, so it can only be applied via brush, or by airbrush.
* It only comes in gloss, so you will still need to use MSC to dull down the gloss.
GooglyDooglyV.2
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Re: Using FLOOR COATING on dolls. :D

Postby zirconmermaid » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:35 pm

Hmmm, my only questions would be if the MSC interferes with the floor wax and can you take it off again if you want to re-do the face-up. Have you tried it yet? Hmmm, thinks of experiments with inexpensive resin dolls. Wonder how it would work on vinyl...
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby Greyhaunt » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:21 am

I think Hujoos were made for experimenting like this LOL.

I know there has been talk about using floor sealants on dolls, but I haven't read any of the specifics - I'll wait until you use it Googs :)
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby victoriavictrix » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:46 am

The discussions over on DoA have been about Minwax Acrylic Floor Sealer which DOES come in matte and DOES come in a spray can, although I have not yet found it locally in a spray can. The results I have seen are awesome, and I am going to try it on my DZ Fox. However since it is extremely tough I want to make sure I have results I really want to keep, because once sealed, it's going to take an act of Congress to get the blushing off.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby GooglyDooglyV.2 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:25 am

Elizabeth: It doesn't really interferes with MSC, but as its a acrylic product, and MSC is lacquer-based, its always a good idea to wait for them to fully cure before putting one product over the other. But from my experience, I don't have any problems when I sprayed MSC over Future to dull down my models.

And you can take it off if you want to change the faceup of your doll. But it will be much harder to remove than MSC, since it's really meant as a protection and unlike MSC, it really does "seal".

Grey: Oh God, not Hujoos. I'd rather work on Barbies first!!! Er...I meant to say, I already experimented around with it.
The pic was taken with flash, and I applied Future with a soft brush. It went on like a dream, and it looks really glossy with just one coat of Future.

Misty: Yep! That's the reason I began to think about using Future on dolls...for the body blushings! I'm tired of my nipple work being scrubbed off. >>;;
GooglyDooglyV.2
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby Greyhaunt » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:36 am

Hmmmm, may have to look into that one day when I do a body blush on a doll :)
Greyhaunt

Postby leopardessmoon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:02 am

thanks for posting this information! I look forward to updates on your experamentation.
leopardessmoon

Postby Greyhaunt » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:23 pm

victoriavictrix wrote:The discussions over on DoA have been about Minwax Acrylic Floor Sealer which DOES come in matte and DOES come in a spray can, although I have not yet found it locally in a spray can. The results I have seen are awesome, and I am going to try it on my DZ Fox. However since it is extremely tough I want to make sure I have results I really want to keep, because once sealed, it's going to take an act of Congress to get the blushing off.

Well when my arm finally heals (grumble grumble) and I can paint again I think the Minwax is what I'll look for. I'd prefer to just have to spray with one substance rather than two! Damn but I'm tempted to try it on an obitsu! It sure would be nice to have something that might actually protect the vinyl from staining....I wonder if it is vinyl safe.....
Greyhaunt

Postby Kirahfaye » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:34 pm

You could try on a thrift store Barbie to see how safe it is.
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby skookum hime » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:29 pm

I asked Lou years ago about Future, and he told me that If the material is soft, flexible vinyl, it won't work very well, it works best on solid, inflexible surfaces
skookum hime
Dolly Pardon

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks