Go to footer

Make Your Own Eyes---How do you get the lens in?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Make Your Own Eyes---How do you get the lens in?

Postby SetsunaKou » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I just bought 3 prs of 16mm half round acrylic 'do it yourself' blank eyes where you can make your own iris/pupil and then insert it in the white sclera part, then press the clear dome lens on top.

Well, I got as far as pressing the lens on top. It sort of goes on but is uneven and one side is higher than the other. ^^;;

Is there trick or method to pressing in the lens all the way? I don't want to scuff or chip them using a vise or pliers.....

Any advice? :)
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Re: Make Your Own Eyes---How do you get the lens in?

Postby Stormlight » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:04 pm

I bought some from Dollmore like that. I press the lens in partway then turn it upside-down and press from the bottom. Kind of "roll" it so it goes down evenly on all sides. Just put a paper towel or something under it to protect the lens from scratching on a hard surface.
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby SetsunaKou » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:23 pm

Stormlight wrote:I bought some from Dollmore like that. I press the lens in partway then turn it upside-down and press from the bottom. Kind of "roll" it so it goes down evenly on all sides. Just put a paper towel or something under it to protect the lens from scratching on a hard surface.

Oooh, good thought! I'll try that now.....

.....And it worked really good on 2 eyes, and pretty well on the other 4 eyes. (3 prs)
I had to use the butt-end of a Sharpie (closed) to press firmly on the inner back while I rolled the lens onto the paper towel-ed surface you recommended. It worked!! Thank you for your help, Stormlight-san!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Stormlight » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:20 am

No prob! Glad I could help. I usually just press with my palm and lean my weight on my hand. I might have to try the sharpie trick next time I buy a pair, too. :)
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks