Go to footer

Doll Armature

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Doll Armature

Postby Dark Angel » Tue May 23, 2017 12:09 pm

I need to make a monkey tail for a 60cm resin doll. I was thinking about using doll armatures for it and I was hoping someone here might have prior experience with it.

I would like to attach it with magnets so that I can change his pants easily and not have to make holes. K2 posted links with magnets in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11166
So I'll be checking those out.

Has anyone used armatures before?
What's the best one to get and where do I get it? Obviously, since I'm just making a tail, I don't need a whole bunch. I saw on eBay that they were selling some pre-made doll armatures, maybe I should get one of those?
Also, how flexible are armatures? I'd like to be able to twist his tail into a curl (not super tight). Will I be able to?
Do I need special tools to put it together?

I would also like to cover the tail in fur/fabric. Any tips on how to do that so that I don't mess up the pose-ability (is that a word?)

:lol: Maybe I should have googled all of this. But I would like to hear everyone's opinions.

Thanks in advance!
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Re: Doll Armature

Postby K2! » Tue May 23, 2017 10:45 pm

Dark Angel wrote:I need to make a monkey tail for a 60cm resin doll. I was thinking about using doll armatures for it and I was hoping someone here might have prior experience with it.

I would like to attach it with magnets so that I can change his pants easily and not have to make holes. K2 posted links with magnets in this thread: http://dolliehsanctuary.com/sanctuary/v ... 13&t=11166
So I'll be checking those out.

Has anyone used armatures before?
What's the best one to get and where do I get it? Obviously, since I'm just making a tail, I don't need a whole bunch. I saw on eBay that they were selling some pre-made doll armatures, maybe I should get one of those?
Also, how flexible are armatures? I'd like to be able to twist his tail into a curl (not super tight). Will I be able to?
Do I need special tools to put it together?

I would also like to cover the tail in fur/fabric. Any tips on how to do that so that I don't mess up the pose-ability (is that a word?)

Thanks in advance!

My tentacle monsters used the Jeton armatures (from Parabox) covered with a stretchy fabric sleeve. They work very well and hold their position, even with the fabric and some applied texture.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12006
The tentacle monsters use one of the larger sizes and they will bend into about a 1 1/2" loop without any trouble.
The down side for your monkey tail would be that with the fabric tight enough so as not to look baggy, all the joint knuckles show through the fabric. This is a plus for tentacle monsters but perhaps not for monkeys. You could probably fix that with a fabric that would hide these joints by being slightly furry or just make the fabric sleeve a little bigger. You do need a special tool to put the individual ball and sockets together or take them apart. They are very tight.
These are the same parts Smart Doll uses for their doll's spines. Also many aftermarket Dollfie Dream replacement spines are made from these.
http://parabox.jp/eng_new/skelton.html
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Dark Angel » Wed May 24, 2017 5:02 am

Oh, there's different sizes too! Totally obvious once I think about it...

What size did you use for the tentacle monsters? (I know you said large but if you can remember the exact size, it'd be helpful) It might be a little big?? At least for a monkey tail, I think.

I do want the tail to be a little furry so I'm not too worried about the joints showing.

I'm not in a super hurry, I want to do it right! So it'll take me a bit of time to find the perfect fabrics and stuff. Stretchy fabric sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure there's a stretchy fabric that is also furry. I'll have to really look around.

Thanks for the input K2!
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel

Postby K2! » Wed May 24, 2017 4:38 pm

Dark Angel wrote:What size did you use for the tentacle monsters?

I used the 16mm (1/4 scale) size.
http://parabox.jp/eng_new/skelton_main.html#16mm

It might be a little big?? At least for a monkey tail, I think.

Probably a bit big for a 1/3 or 1/4 scale doll monkey tail. You probably want the 9mm size or maybe smaller if you can find it.

I do want the tail to be a little furry so I'm not too worried about the joints showing.

Then you definitely want something small, especially if it is going to be furry.

I'm not in a super hurry, I want to do it right! So it'll take me a bit of time to find the perfect fabrics and stuff. Stretchy fabric sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure there's a stretchy fabric that is also furry. I'll have to really look around.

I wanted the joints to show so the sleeves I made were kind of tight so stretchy fabric was needed. If you make the sleeves about the same diameter as the armature the fabric doesn't have to be very stretchy. Just get enough fabric to do an experiment or two.

The hardest part of the whole operation was turning the sleeves back right side out after sewing them.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby SetsunaKou » Wed May 24, 2017 7:20 pm

Dark Angel wrote: Stretchy fabric sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure there's a stretchy fabric that is also furry. I'll have to really look around.

Thanks for the input K2!

Not sure if it helps but the selvage on a great deal of fashion faux fur fabrics is stretchy! :) When we make costumes or doll clothing, we always try to save that part for where stretch is needed. It's usually at least 2-3" wide at the selvage so it might be useful for a monkey tail! :)

If you can't find fur with stretchy selvage, then 'minky cuddle' is stretchy and furry, too. :)
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Dark Angel » Thu May 25, 2017 5:18 pm

SetsunaKou wrote:
Not sure if it helps but the selvage on a great deal of fashion faux fur fabrics is stretchy! :) When we make costumes or doll clothing, we always try to save that part for where stretch is needed. It's usually at least 2-3" wide at the selvage so it might be useful for a monkey tail! :)

If you can't find fur with stretchy selvage, then 'minky cuddle' is stretchy and furry, too. :)

Thanks!!! I never knew what that kind of fabric was called. "Minky cuddle" :lol:
My Family:
Dark Angel

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks