Go to footer

Glitter be gone!

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Glitter be gone!

Postby DollyKim » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:41 pm

How do I get dried glitter, *probably nail polish, off a Kenner Fashion Star Filly? Hard plastic. Pretty sure the violet is the base color.
Last edited by DollyKim on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Glitter be gone!

Postby Dark Angel » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:28 pm

Maybe you can soak it in some warm water to loosen it?? And then scrub gently.
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:43 pm

Soaking didn't help, it's definitely not glue. I've used nail polish remover on Breyers for nail polish disasters but this plastic feels more "brittle".
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Dark Angel » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:08 pm

I googled it and some suggestions are denatured alcohol and wd-40. (Disclaimer: I have no experience with this, I only googled it.)
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:06 am

Thanks, I found out mom tried Goo Be Gone and it didn't work. We have WD-40, regular alcohol, nail polish remover, Citrus Strip paint remover, Murphy's oil soap, and I assume cleaning stuff for horse tack.

It's not the end of the world, it's not sticky and they aren't the most valuable things loose. I haven't tried nail polish remover yet and might just do that.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby SetsunaKou » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:13 am

DollyKim wrote:Thanks, I found out mom tried Goo Be Gone and it didn't work. We have WD-40, regular alcohol, nail polish remover, Citrus Strip paint remover, Murphy's oil soap, and I assume cleaning stuff for horse tack.

It's not the end of the world, it's not sticky and they aren't the most valuable things loose. I haven't tried nail polish remover yet and might just do that.

Tea Tree Oil should help remove it rubbing with q-tips until the glitter loosens around. HOWEVER, if the pearlescent is paint, it might come off, too.
I had that horse---I think it's Niki? I'm trying to remember if the pearlescent is painted on....if so, you might try the tea tree oil on an inconspicuous place first to make sure the pearly doesn't rub off, too. :)
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Kattriella » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:58 pm

Assuming the pearlescent part isn't paint, a magic eraser might be helpful. I've also had luck with really old nail polish on toys with just scratching of off with my nail.

If it IS nail polish, soaking the horse in rubbing alcohol for a few hours might loosen the edges enough to start chipping it off. I know it's worked for me with super glue mishaps where acetone wasn't an option.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby maywong » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:05 am

A 2000 very fine grit wet sandpaper would probably work.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby WhiteDove01s » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:29 pm

I'll second giving the magic eraser a try, It's usually my go-to first attempt before I break out the chemicals. I haven't tried it on a nail polish spill tho, which may be too much for it... but the glitter in it might help the eraser snag it. I also agree that if you start using the other chemicals, test them on the inside of a leg first to make sure they don't affect that pearlescent color it has going on.
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:25 am

I'd try that if I knew where that horse galloped off to. It's somewhere in the hoard herd in my sister's room now :/
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks