Go to footer

Anybody Got Tips on How to Make Your Dolls Stand?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Anybody Got Tips on How to Make Your Dolls Stand?

Postby Kattriella » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:47 am

Anybody got any good tips or tricks they use for getting their dollies to stand without actually having a doll stand in the picture?

My trick for outdoor photoshoots with my 1/6 scale crew is using bamboo skewers running up the back of pants legs with the point embedded in the ground an inch or two to help them stand. If they're not wearing long pants, I use invisible tape to stick the skewer to whichever side of their legs aren't facing the camera. It's fairly easy to change the position of the skewer if you want to change angles. As for inside shots, often times the main issue I have is weak ankles, especially with Barbies. Boots that cover the ankle help, but the skewer trick can also help with dolls who have wobbly knees or ankles.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Re: Anybody Got Tips on How to Make Your Dolls Stand?

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:04 am

Kattriella wrote:Anybody got any good tips or tricks they use for getting their dollies to stand without actually having a doll stand in the picture?

My trick for outdoor photoshoots with my 1/6 scale crew is using bamboo skewers running up the back of pants legs.

That is a pretty nifty idea.
Most of the time I just let my magnet feet Obitsu stand on on metal bases and not shoot their bare feet. Otherwise one hand is leaning against a wall or a more stable doll

White (blue) tac helps too.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Kattriella » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:18 am

Iwa_Hoshi wrote:
Kattriella wrote:Anybody got any good tips or tricks they use for getting their dollies to stand without actually having a doll stand in the picture?

My trick for outdoor photoshoots with my 1/6 scale crew is using bamboo skewers running up the back of pants legs.

Most of the time I just let my magnet feet Obitsu stand on on metal bases and not shoot their bare feet. Otherwise one hand is leaning against a wall or a more stable doll

I'm always afraid blue tac will stain somebody . . . (I had a terrible staining incident last year involving making the mistake of storing a guy wearing a black jacket with the rest of my dolls in the same box . . . I still haven't gotten around to removing the stains from around five of the dolls . . .)

For shoots where I'm not shooting their legs, I sometimes stick the skewers down through the tops of lids from this like mayonnaise jars (washed, of course) and hot glue them at the bottom so even if they come loose, the glue won't let them come out of the lid. Then I do the same thing as if I was outside.

I can't wait to get my Obitsu dolls, but it has to wait until I get more money. In broke right now. QuQ
Kattriella

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:15 pm

Kattriella wrote:
Iwa_Hoshi wrote:

I'm always afraid blue tac will stain somebody . . . (I had a terrible staining incident last year involving making the mistake of storing a guy wearing a black jacket with the rest of my dolls in the same box . . . I still haven't gotten around to removing the stains from around five of the dolls . . .)

For shoots where I'm not shooting their legs, I sometimes stick the skewers down through the tops of lids from this like mayonnaise jars (washed, of course) and hot glue them at the bottom so even if they come loose, the glue won't let them come out of the lid. Then I do the same thing as if I was outside.

I can't wait to get my Obitsu dolls, but it has to wait until I get more money. In broke right now. QuQ

The white blu-tac Iwa_Hoshi mentioned shouldn't stain or leave greasy marks (unlike the blue-grey blu-tac, which might). I've used it for years as eye putty in resins and some vinyls without any problem - we also use it at work as it doesn't leave grease-marks on the walls.

I like the skewer idea - I generally go for surreptitious leaning/hand resting for the non-Obitsus if I can't get them to balance.
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm

Postby Kattriella » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:09 pm

Finding white blue tac without ordering it isn't feasible in my area . . . I've scoured every store I can think of to find it. I like to use restickable glue dots for make my dolls bold things. (Usually, the glue dots don't survive, but I get a whole lack of them for a buck, so oh well.) I've used them to help keep loose shoes on and even to keep a wig on one doll's head. They're really useful, and since they stay in one piece, they don't get stuck in the wig.
Kattriella

Postby maywong » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:22 am

I use clear sticky tack.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Kattriella » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:43 am

maywong wrote:I use clear sticky tack.

Never seen that in my stores either. O-O I think I live in the backwoods of nowhere.
Kattriella

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks