Go to footer

Help? Not sure what I did wrong...

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Help? Not sure what I did wrong...

Postby kittyasauras » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:01 pm

On some of my vinyl heads that I painted the areas that I glossed over, mainly the painted eyes, are just falling off. Or more like peeling back off of the vinyl head and eventually, they look like they will fall off. I sealed before and after I painted the head. Is this why the paint is peeling/flaking off? The eyebrows and the lips aren't, it's just the eyes. I don't know if it's because that part becomes convex when taking the head off or what. Thanks.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FawnFeathers <-----ETSY~! dollieh clothes and what-nots
kittyasauras
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Help? Not sure what I did wrong...

Postby DollyKim » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:29 pm

You didn't do anything wrong but stop taking the head on and off, if you're continuing to do that. What you did in a way was create a kind of decal, I've had the same thing happen.

What I did was to use a dab of sealer to "glue" the eye back down. You want just a bit, like on the end of a pin or toothpick so it goes under the eye and hopefully doesn't leak out when you gently put the eye back on. Maybe use the handle end of a small paintbrush to put the eye back on, don't glue the paintbrush to the eye. Let that dry. If the edges need some "gluing" put some sealer under them a bit at a time. I'm actually going to have to do a fix on one of my girls who has an edge lifting up but I'm waiting for another doll to come in first so I only need to get my supplies out one. I'll post pics in my blog and here.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Kd_Bunchanumbers » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:04 pm

You're basically stressing the paint and separating the bond between the paint and vinyl.

Also, it depends if you're painting in thin multiple layers or thick not-too-many layers since essentially it's not really stuck to the vinyl if it's a thick glob of paint.
Kd_Bunchanumbers
the walls have dolliehs

Postby kittyasauras » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:28 pm

The sclera is the only part that I paint thickish because I want it white. I can start painting it thinner though.

Thank you both for your tips! : )
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FawnFeathers <-----ETSY~! dollieh clothes and what-nots
kittyasauras
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks