Go to footer

Nails?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Nails?

Postby Wardah » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:08 pm

I know nail polish is usually a no-no for dolls but how does one go about giving a doll "polished" nails? Especially like one of those fancy nail polishes that shimmer different colors or have glitter in them?
Wardah
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Nails?

Postby Resu » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Maybe paint them in acrylic paint, gloss them, and sprinkle some mica powder on it before the gloss dries?
Resu
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby maywong » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:51 pm

I believe that they make acrylic paint with glitter or some shiny stuff in them.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Wardah » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:05 pm

Are there any acrylic paints that have an iridescent sheen? Like for example one nail polish I have is pink with a golden sheen. If so where can I find them?
Wardah
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Sock and Awe » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:18 pm

there are pearlesent powders that you can add to glosses to get that look they are said to be a bit pricey. Some paints are clear with glitter but the sparkly bits sometimes do tend to be a bit on the large side I have used them tho and have been happy with the effect.
Sock and Awe

Postby maywong » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:28 pm

I know that they make spray paint with a iridescent sheen.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby zirconmermaid » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:34 pm

Try an actual art store. You can get iridescent powders and they are fairly small. Get a base color - say the Acrylic "Vallejo" paints that Emory carries at Junkyspot. These are brush on. Then pick up some brush on acrylic gloss sealer - you will find them at stores that carry Role Playing Miniatures as well as Emory and Art Stores. You may even be able to get the paint at a Michaels. Actually any acrylic paint and sealer will work. NEVER USE SPRAY PAINT! The solvents in spray paint can melt or damage vinyl and resin if you are not very careful. That is why there is so much discussion on forums about what type of sealer to use on a dolls face-up or body blushing. When it comes to a tiny part of the doll like nails, you would probably have a hard time doing this. You can mix the powder with either the base or the top coat. If you look at face-ups done by Kiki-chan78 you will see that they have iridescent powders on them. Both Peri and Hazel have it! I think it looks better in the top coat. You could even try using just the clear plus the powder, but if you are going for a full nail coverage look, then I would use a base coat.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby maywong » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:37 pm

[quote="zirconmermaid" NEVER USE SPRAY PAINT! The solvents in spray paint can melt or damage vinyl and resin if you are not very careful. That is why there is so much discussion on forums about what type of sealer to use on a dolls face-up or body blushing. [/quote]

That is true about using spray paint on vinyl or resin but hard plastics it's O.K. to use.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks