Go to footer

Sewing Questions (eyelets and thread)

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Sewing Questions (eyelets and thread)

Postby Dark Angel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:26 am

Hi,

I haven't sewn in a REALLY long time... and now I remember why. My thread is all weird. It's the bobbin's thread. What's going on?

And my other question is about eyelets. I've never used them before. I have a basic idea of how to do it, but if someone could explain it a little more clearly, or at least confirm that I know what I'm doing.

I *think* you have to cut the hole in the material, put the eyelet through so that the smooth part is on the right side of the fabric, and then you just lightly hammer the edges down? Is that all?

Thanks in advance! :)
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Re: Sewing Questions (eyelets and thread)

Postby Greyhaunt » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:58 am

Best tutorial on eyelets I've ever seen - particularly since it involves doll-sized eyelets!!!
http://www.dolls-n-daggers.com/Dolls/OOAKtipssewing.php#Eyelets

On the sewing note - I'm not sure, but see if maybe your tension isn't set tight enough.
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby skookum hime » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:23 pm

It looks like your tension isn't tight enough. Also depending on the fabric. Thin fabrics need small needles if you use an 18 on cotton, I notice things like that happen too.
skookum hime
Dolly Pardon

Postby Serif Balehawk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:24 am

The bobbin tension is off. Did you make sure to put the thread through the tab before putting into the machine? I do that, I put the new bobbin in, and forget to pull it through the tab before putting it into the machine. I get that mess when I do that.

I've only ever used eyelets in scrapbooking, but I'm sure it's the same. Make a hole, push it through, hammer, done.
Serif Balehawk

Postby victoriavictrix » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:43 am

There is a screw on the bobbin casing. That is how you tighten the tension. Is the loopy thread the top thread or the bobbin thread? If it is the top thread, which is what I actually suspect, your bobbin is fine. You need to adjust the TOP tension. Or....you threaded the machine wrong so there is no tension on the top thread. Find you manual and rethread EXACTLY the way the diagram shows you.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Dark Angel » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:46 am

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I tightened the tension and it works much better.

And eyelets are actually pretty easy. As long as you don't make the hole too big. *facepalm*
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby Greyhaunt » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:47 am

Dark Angel wrote:And eyelets are actually pretty easy. As long as you don't make the hole too big. *facepalm*

Oh yea, been there, done that *groan*
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby OkamiKodomo » Mon May 09, 2011 4:29 am

Greyhaunt wrote:
Dark Angel wrote:And eyelets are actually pretty easy. As long as you don't make the hole too big. *facepalm*

Oh yea, been there, done that *groan*

same here. -also facepalms- I actually started using a bead reamer to punch holes, instead of trying to cut a hole... works well for sturdier fabrics like denim and leathers (real and imitation), as well as some knits. Haven't tried it in lighter stuff, but then I don't plan on putting eyelets in chiffon or lace any time soon. o.O I think you can pick one up at the craft store for.... $3? Something like that. Even walmart carries them.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Faydreams » Thu May 09, 2013 10:50 am

I don't use a sewing machine so I can't help any with the problem you are having there.

As for eyelets I have used them many times. There seems to be two ways to do it and it depends on your fabric.

Method one: Tightly woven fabric with no stretch and thick leather. In this case you will have to cut to be able to put the eyelets into the fabric or leather. In the fabric you will want to fray check any holes you make before doing the eyelet setting. Leather is leather and unless you pull it the hole will remain the same size.

(Tip1: Cut any hole you make smaller than the eyelet being used. Otherwise you run the risk of it slipping out of the hole.)

Method two: With thinner leather and looser woven fabrics (may or may not have stretch) you do not have to cut a hole. I've marked where I want the eyelet, and picked up a large needle. In the woven fabric it forces the threads apart but only for a short time and in the leather it pierces it causing a hole that will close over time as well. Once you have the hole slip the eyelet onto a pin with a bead end and use that to push the eyelet into the hole stretching the fabric or leather around it. You won't need to use fray check and because of the threads or leather wanting to return to their original position the eyelet fits tighter.
The pen is mightier than the sword.... Unless this is a sword fight.
Faydreams
Dolly Pardon

Postby SillyLilPuppet » Thu May 16, 2013 5:10 pm

On some fabrics I've actually taken a knitting needle the size of the eyelet and used it to just push the threads apart in a perfect hole. This works really well on tiny doll eyelets. Also I get my tiny scale eyelets from the scrapbooking section of Michaels. They ought to also have some setting tools. Just get the metal dowel looking one you hammer on, there's one with screw in multiple heads for different size eyelets. Don't get the spring loaded machine one, its meant for paper, not fabric, and tends to split and flatten the eyelet too much.
<>My Tumblr<>My Etsy<>Come chat!<>
Too many dolls, I give up.
SillyLilPuppet
Dolly Pardon

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks