Go to footer

Why you NEVER EVER use Acetone

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Why you NEVER EVER use Acetone

Postby victoriavictrix » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:23 pm

I grabbed that photo a while back from someone on Jspot who decided to use acetone or acetone nail polish remover on their 1/6 Obitsu, and documented the results.

All that blue stuff flaking off? Layers of vinyl and ABS plastic separating from the rest of the body. Kept doing so, too.

Insofar as using acetone on resin, the results are mixed.

It WILL temporarily soften the resin. Depending on the resin, and even the batch, when it evaporates you may have no problems, the surface becoming powder, the surface becoming pitted, or the surface melting.

Acetone is also very bad for you if you breathe it in.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Re: Why you NEVER EVER use Acetone

Postby Kd_Bunchanumbers » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:54 am

I thought it some sorta plastic remover the person found in their car... It looked fine for a couple hours then BAM.
Kd_Bunchanumbers
the walls have dolliehs

Postby victoriavictrix » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:03 am

Kd_Bunchanumbers wrote:I thought it some sorta plastic remover the person found in their car... It looked fine for a couple hours then BAM.

Nope, it was pure acetone. I think the post was lost in the Great Hack.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Kirahfaye » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:20 am

It looks like some sort of prop display for a mutant alien zombie attacking the earth B movie - just the kind of thing my daughter would love! LOL! (Please let's not give her any ideas! *glances fearfully at daughter's darling, gothy Hujoo, Abbey*)
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Itsaiya » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:40 pm

t-that.... that looks like... a massacre D:

Or like Slimer came through, from Ghostbusters o_O
Akihito [DZ Yuu], Red [ED Red], Sweetpea [DF Popo], Apollo [BBB Apollo], Reli [B&G Sharon], (phoenix) Efriete [B&G Afra], (human) Efriete [Migidoll Miho], Seth [Migidoll Ryu], Horus [Obitsu 50cm].

Do want: DR Xiao chi [as Xieu]; DOD Luke v2 [as Daven]; DIM Rain [as Rain]
Itsaiya
Dolly Pardon

Postby MidoriKurogami » Sun May 30, 2010 1:12 am

"OHMYGAWDTHEYVAPORIZEDEM!"

*Ahem*

Yeah, acetone is bad stuff. REALLY BAD stuff. I mean, if it takes the varnish off of tables and the paint off of desks...

I actually found out how bad acetone was for plastic when I was a teenager. I used to paint my nails All. The. Time. My nailpolish remover leaked onto my fingernail file...and melted the plastic handle.

I assumed everyone knew it melted similar composites. x.x Thank you for sharing this. Hopefully another dolleh won't have to die for lack of information! That's a truly gruesome photo.
MidoriKurogami

Postby Stormlight » Sun May 30, 2010 5:49 am

Yeeek! It's like one of those cheesy, badly-made SyFy slasher movies. Only for dollies! XD

That happened to me once, waaay back when I was little and was trying to paint my nails. Way back then, I don't think the non-acetone stuff existed yet. The bottle of polish remover was almost empty, and I couldn't get the Q-tip in far enough to get it wet, so I dumped some into a little plastic tray.

Surprise! Leaking remover and melted plastic all over the desk.

Never tried that again. XD
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Astrid » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:54 pm

I use non acetone on my resin people because nothing else had worked but I noticed that Mini fee heads do not like even the the non acetone mix and the resin started coming off like paint... so becareful even with non acetone.
Astrid
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby Biff » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:22 am

You're never suppose to use it straight even if you do use it, and NEVER on vinyls. Generally speaking, if you're too afraid, don't do it. If you want to try, make sure it's watered down and you're being careful (and that whatever you're cleaning isn't know for melting). Never heard anything about something turning powder with acetone...

Also, don't forget... resin particles are actually toxic too, for that matter.
Biff
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby DollyKim » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:16 am

Does it ever stabilize? I mean is there a way to use the doll after as a zombie or will it continue to melt?
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks