Go to footer

New selling help!

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

New selling help!

Postby AlmySidaKay » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:33 am

I've realized I've gotten to the point where I have doll things I no longer want. But I have no idea where to start having never sold anything on the internet before. The idea of sellers fees, shipping costs it's a little overwhelming. Where do I start? How do I figure it all out? I got the buying part down, click, buy and give address, but this seems just like a whole new ballpark. >.<;
A hobby isn't supposed to leave you wistful, regretful and vaguely disappointed. BJD collecting is as customizable as the dolls themselves. Do whatever pleases you the most, because otherwise, why do it at all? All for the 'Gram Bitches love the 'Gram.
AlmySidaKay
Keeper of Unicorns, Rainbows and Happy Things

Re: New selling help!

Postby Gift_in_Edge » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:33 am

Well if you're thinking of selling your MH girls you could easily use Craigslist since they're more play dolls and more people know what they are.
I'm mostly on Tumblr now.
Gift_in_Edge
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby maywong » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:51 pm

You could start selling some of your stuff here.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Anneke » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:06 pm

Well it depends where you want to sell things :) If you're selling them here or on *that other doll forum* then you should start by reading the marketplace rules very carefully. There are a few things that you might not realize are against the rules ^^ mostly just for the sake of keeping things organized.

I found before I started selling on DoA that the problem transactions forum was a good place to start XD I would click on paging threads to find out where transactions went wrong, and have tried to avoid various traps and pitfalls. The short list of those lessons are: never spend the received money until after your item is in the hands of the new owner; don't rely on Paypal's generous "personal payment" option; always answer PM's ASAP; and always send with tracking/delivery confirm even if the buyer isn't willing to pay extra for it.

I've never sold on a place like eBay before but they all have their own set of rules that are pretty straightforward :) Hopefully that'll help.
At Home: Abernathy (VW Odette); Deathbunnie (Soom Cuprit); Lunarflare (Soom Cuprit MD); Onyxia (Soom Heliot girl); Salandria (RS Mei); Tinker Bell (Luts Ani); Zorro (CD Wong)
Waiting: Zoe Bell (WoT Violet)
Anneke
i see dead dolliehs

Postby AlmySidaKay » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:08 pm

Ya, I'ma have take some photos and post things in a day or two. (oh and it was here .. not that other forum) Thanks for the information!
A hobby isn't supposed to leave you wistful, regretful and vaguely disappointed. BJD collecting is as customizable as the dolls themselves. Do whatever pleases you the most, because otherwise, why do it at all? All for the 'Gram Bitches love the 'Gram.
AlmySidaKay
Keeper of Unicorns, Rainbows and Happy Things

Postby DollyKim » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:22 am

I've sold on Ebay, some stuff went quick, some needed a second or third listing. Be honest about the condition, offer to combine shipping if possible, and have a reasonable start price. I've had quite a few of my mooks shoot through the roof that way.

Play dolls and stuff good for kids should go well on Craig's List. Just make sure you meet some place safe like a mall or shopping center where there is a lot of people. Create an E-Mail address just for that too as you'll get spam, I've never posted my phone number and given my city as the local big one.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby quidam » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:58 am

I work for a shipping logistics company, and, let me tell you, it is a very wise idea to use a shipping method that has a signature required, especially if you want to sell off anything more pricey. I deal with customers all the time saying "You never shipped this! We didn't get this!" It's very wonderful to be able to say "I have your signature and it delivered at 5:19 pm on Wednesday."

Perhaps this isn't a giant issue when you're not shipping stuff constantly, but it will cover your butt. It also helps when the carrier decides to deliver it to a completely different address and you will know who exactly at the other address signed for it in case they decide not be truthful and return it. Yes, that does happen. I have a current case where UPS has delivered a package to an address 45 minutes away from the one specified. The person who got it never returned it, and now it has to be written off as loss. (Hopefully UPS will honor a claim on it)
Caretaker of the Axelsen household: Aria, Annica, Aubrey, Azalea, Asher, Amelia, Alantril, Arivan, and Angora
quidam
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Zainin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Zainin
i see dead dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks