Go to footer

Recommended List of Materials

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Re: Recommended List of Materials

Postby roguewolf128 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:44 pm

I'm kind of afraid to put a face up on my girl, she's a delilah noir, and I don't want to stain her permanently. :shock:
Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?
roguewolf128
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby Greyhaunt » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:49 am

AlmySidaKay wrote:Has anyone ever used Prismacolor watercolor pencils, or they don't work for some reason?

Actually any watercolor pencil brand should work fine - I personally own a couple sets of Derwent - but only because they were less expensive and I liked the color selection in them :lol: :lol: I like to use them for very fine details where I just don't have the lightest touch with a paint brush - saves me tons of redoing!

Just be sure to use watercolor pencils - never the other kind!
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby Greyhaunt » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:53 am

roguewolf128 wrote:I'm kind of afraid to put a face up on my girl, she's a delilah noir, and I don't want to stain her permanently. :shock:

If you start out by putting a good base coate of MSC or other recommended sealer on it you really shouldn't have any problem with staining. That said I'm kind of paranoid too when I work on vinyl so I know how you feel :) Tell you what - I have some defaul vinyl obitsu heads laying around. I will NEVER use them for anything so if you PM me your address I will ship one to you and you can practice on that. The vinyl is a little different from Delilah, but will still give you something to "mess up" on to your heart's content.
Greyhaunt

Postby AlmySidaKay » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:41 pm

I had some prisma's from high school so I thought might as well try and save some $, just sealed my first coat on my first doll, gosh this is scary!
A hobby isn't supposed to leave you wistful, regretful and vaguely disappointed. BJD collecting is as customizable as the dolls themselves. Do whatever pleases you the most, because otherwise, why do it at all? All for the 'Gram Bitches love the 'Gram.
AlmySidaKay
Keeper of Unicorns, Rainbows and Happy Things

Postby Greyhaunt » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:37 pm

AlmySidaKay wrote:I had some prisma's from high school so I thought might as well try and save some $, just sealed my first coat on my first doll, gosh this is scary!

You'll do fine :) Or if you don't, you'll just wash it off an start over again!

Remember - the secret to a great faceup is work slowly and work in layers. Mind you that's probably the hardest thing in the world to do (I am SOOOOOO guilty of wanting to rush things) but it really does get the best results :)
Greyhaunt

Postby L63player » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:00 pm

AlmySidaKay wrote:Has anyone ever used Prismacolor watercolor pencils, or they don't work for some reason?

I used them all the time! They work really well. Anyway all good quality watercolors will work. :D
L63player

Postby MrKaffiend » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:16 pm

I also use Prismacolors, for primarily the same reason GH does. xD Shaky hands/no good with fine painting. I love the way the Prismas look, and when sharpened to a fine point, they work nicely for freckles! But doing freckles with pencils requires some plan or eye for design... xD

I've done all my dolls' faceup (modifications) with Prismas and pastel dust. My pastels don't have a brand on them anymore, but I think they might be Prisma as well.

Should we add paintbrushes/where to buy them and the like? Or is that on here and I just missed it? xD I've been using an eyeshadow applicator recently for blushing and it works pretty nicely! And you can clean them with Windsor paintbrush cleaner. At least I tried it on mine and the sponges didn't totally disintegrate.. xD But I don't think these make-up applicators will last long--they get worn out pretty quick.
The Gang @ Home:
Chorus -- Luts MiniFee Chiwoo; Narcissus -- Luts MiniFee Chiwoo Sleeping head; Elby -- Unoa L-bi; Enn -- Blue Fairy BW Tommy on Blossom body

Selling:
Blue Fairy beauty white Blossom MSD body
http://dolliehsanctuary.com/sanctuary/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5917
WANT!!
IslandDoll small bust MSD body, Island tone
MrKaffiend
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks