Go to footer

Varnishes as sealants...?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Re: Varnishes as sealants...?

Postby OkamiKodomo » Sun May 08, 2011 10:51 pm

You know what's funny? The Testor's Dullcote can actually says it's not safe for vinyl. I was doing a practice run on a 27cm obitsu that belongs to a friend of a friend. Sadly she doesn't much care about the poor dear.... but that did give me room to experiment. I had to find something else that would work. Surprisingly, Prismacolor pastel fixative works. A good six months later and the face-up and doll are both still in good shape. The only problems I ran into were that a) it takes a few nights to properly cure. b)even the matte finish still ends up being a -bit- too shiny.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby landwhale » Sun May 08, 2011 11:25 pm

ZM spray is definitely good for vinyl. I used to use it before I got MSC on my OBitsu 1/6 heads. It is a bit thicker. The one thing to watch out for is to not use it when it is cold because it wont try and forms a sticky mess.
Obitsu 27cm Meryl, Lilly, Rhea, Stacey, Llywen, Lara, Aili
BJD Peyton (Non-official sculpt Happy D.I.M.), Un-named FL Chicline Lishe
RS/BBB Li(Ziili), Wu(Ba'ul), Yao. DikaDoll Rena(Lael)
CH Bisou Pepe (Charlie), CH Junior Ren (Allen), Obitsu 60cm Gretel (Cerise)
http://invie-alamode.blogspot.com/
landwhale
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Evelien » Mon May 09, 2011 12:17 am

Brand names don't work for me because unfortunately in the Netherlands we have completely different brands... I was gonna say, 'what type of spray', but I guess I'd better just wait until I can afford MSC. ;)
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Zainin » Mon May 09, 2011 12:38 am

Last edited by Zainin on Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zainin
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Evelien » Mon May 09, 2011 12:42 am

Zainin wrote:Well, read the ingredients, I'd suggest, then. A lot of sealants contain acetone (like Plaid brand in the USA) which is terrible for dolls of most sorts.

I use Testors Dullcote 99% of the time. I actually have access to MSC right now and I prefer the Testors.

Yeah but... I think I'm gonna go the safe way.. I've been struggling for a while with this now, googling my ass off. I can't even figure out what the difference is between a sealant and a fixative, translated to Dutch. And apparently sprays for acrylics and pastels are meant to be put on paper/canvas only, so I shouldn't use those, but what else then..? What's it called other than just the brand name..? I just can't figure it out and I think I'll just go with MSC, because I can't afford to experiment ;)
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Kd_Bunchanumbers » Mon May 09, 2011 3:48 am

True facts, I don't use any kind of sealer for my 1/6th dolls and none of my Flickr doll friends either, lol.
Kd_Bunchanumbers
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Evelien » Mon May 09, 2011 4:05 am

Not even if you use pastels in your face-up..?
Flickr | Ipernity
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Kd_Bunchanumbers » Mon May 09, 2011 5:11 am

Evelien wrote:Not even if you use pastels in your face-up..?

Lols I tend to not use pastels, so that's probably a moot point. Though I definitely recommend using sealer to give a bit of tooth and extra protection, derp.
Kd_Bunchanumbers
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Mon May 09, 2011 6:02 am

I personally don't use Testors on my rooted heads. I use it as a base only on the resin heads, and a top coat on the resin heads and some of the hard plastic ones if they've been completely repainted. With a rooted head many times acrylic paint will just seal its self.

Practice your pastel work on a Barbie doll head and try a paint on sealer to see if it will work. I always recommend practice any way. I've found Liquitex matte varnish/sealer in a thin coat to work well on the heads I've sculpted and that's at every art store. They don't get wet, or fed after midnight, but they have held fine with the abuse I put them through.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby 1/6andtinylover » Mon May 09, 2011 5:29 pm

landwhale wrote:ZM spray is definitely good for vinyl. I used to use it before I got MSC on my OBitsu 1/6 heads. It is a bit thicker. The one thing to watch out for is to not use it when it is cold because it wont try and forms a sticky mess.

I guess that meanas that I'll get the ZM spray, and try to find a day in Iowa where it's not too hot....or too humid....

Aw, heck, I'll probably paint the face over the summer and seal it in fall!!
The ever growing wishlist: Hujoo Dana, Obitsu 40, and an army of other Obitsus with anime style heads.
The more expensive end of my wishtlist: Limhwa Half Elf and Elfdoll Soah, my dream dolls.
Dolls @ home: Elodie Tarte (YuHao Tart)
1/6andtinylover
the walls have dolliehs

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks