Go to footer

Magnifying lenses and anime style eye drawing

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Magnifying lenses and anime style eye drawing

Postby 1/6andtinylover » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:28 am

I was just wondering how much difference it would make between using magnifying lenses and not using them while drawing anime style eyes. I can see them helping a lot in realistic face ups (has tried to repaint a barbie and epicly failed), as the eyes would be smaller, but since anime eyes tend to be very large, it seems like one can get a fair amount of detail without one.

Any other thoughts and/or experiences?
The ever growing wishlist: Hujoo Dana, Obitsu 40, and an army of other Obitsus with anime style heads.
The more expensive end of my wishtlist: Limhwa Half Elf and Elfdoll Soah, my dream dolls.
Dolls @ home: Elodie Tarte (YuHao Tart)
1/6andtinylover
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Magnifying lenses and anime style eye drawing

Postby landwhale » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:54 pm

Lol, I don't use magnifying lenses on any of my faceups. I should I guess but I don't. I think it might be hard since it distorts your spacial perception. You can see from my avatar that my painted eyes are tiny. It's true you can put more detail in a larger anime eye but then again, how much detail do you really need in an anime eye? In all honesty, I don't know if its about not being able to see the detail or if it's about your hand's motor control. The only time I find it's a problem with sight is when my brush tip is indistinguishable from the area I am painting and I can't see where it is. (as in the paint on the tip is the almost but not same color as the area I am painting.)

I will eventually get a jewelers head magnifying thing to try when I can afford it. For now I try to do only one-two Obitsu heads a week so as not to kill my vision.
Obitsu 27cm Meryl, Lilly, Rhea, Stacey, Llywen, Lara, Aili
BJD Peyton (Non-official sculpt Happy D.I.M.), Un-named FL Chicline Lishe
RS/BBB Li(Ziili), Wu(Ba'ul), Yao. DikaDoll Rena(Lael)
CH Bisou Pepe (Charlie), CH Junior Ren (Allen), Obitsu 60cm Gretel (Cerise)
http://invie-alamode.blogspot.com/
landwhale
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby AppleMintPie » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:44 am

I never used a magnifying lens for my face-ups because I did a lot of anime based paints but now that I started working on realistic heads and repaints I think I should give it a try. Just dont know how much such a lens will cost x/D
landwhale/ My eyes kill me too when I paint heads `.`
¿ Habla Español?
AppleMintPie
i see dead dolliehs

Postby 1/6andtinylover » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:20 pm

I guess if I ever need any kind of lense, I can stick a magnifying lense on this....snaky....clamp...thing that is residing at my house.
The ever growing wishlist: Hujoo Dana, Obitsu 40, and an army of other Obitsus with anime style heads.
The more expensive end of my wishtlist: Limhwa Half Elf and Elfdoll Soah, my dream dolls.
Dolls @ home: Elodie Tarte (YuHao Tart)
1/6andtinylover
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks