Go to footer

Primer, apoxie, and Full Body Painting on Obitsus

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Primer, apoxie, and Full Body Painting on Obitsus

Postby Skitterbug » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:40 pm

Okay, three seperate questions here.

First: I see people use Mr Super Clear as a primer (and sealant i think?) to put on before and after they paint, but as far as I can tell, i'd need to find an online store to get that.

What are some alternative products I can get at a local craft/artist store like Michaels or Wallack's?

And the other, I have one Obitsu 21 cm (not a soft bust) who will get some apoxie sculpt modifications, and will then require a full body repaint in what I tend to call "mottled bruise color", sort of brownish blueish blackish (i have a picture refrence anyway). What is a good way to get this done? I originally thought about airbrushing, but I'd need to get someone to do that for me.

And related to the apoxie sculpt - has anyone had experience using this with a smaller vinyl obitsu? I think they're vinyl.
Skitterbug
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Re: Primer, apoxie, and Full Body Painting on Obitsus

Postby 1/6andtinylover » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:59 pm

They put MSC on to first protect the vinyl from staining, and seal it afterwards like you said. So....dunno, maybe kinda different from a primer. And Testors, Krylon, Model Masters, etc etc make the vinyl (yup obitsus are vinyl) get sticky and stuff, so pretty much the only sealants you can use are MSC, MSC uv cut and Zoukeimura powder spray (they sell it at Volks USA website) So unless you live near Volks LA store, chances are that there won't be any local ones you can use.

As for the full body paint. there's always dyeing but i'm not sure about the result...you can probably do a search on google to see how that works.

Okay, for someone who owns no vinyl dolls, this is one heck of a rant.
The ever growing wishlist: Hujoo Dana, Obitsu 40, and an army of other Obitsus with anime style heads.
The more expensive end of my wishtlist: Limhwa Half Elf and Elfdoll Soah, my dream dolls.
Dolls @ home: Elodie Tarte (YuHao Tart)
1/6andtinylover
the walls have dolliehs

Postby maywong » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:26 pm

Most of your answers can be found in this section.

The apoxie sculpt should work fine on the hard plastic body. You can also spray paint the doll.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Greyhaunt » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:17 am

The problem with using dye on an obitsu is that different parts are made of different types of vinyl, and each type will take the dye differently. What you can end up with is a patchy looking doll.

The best job of full painting an obitsu was a 60cm Haruka that someone had airbrushed tan. That said, even if you used a lot of MSC to protect the paint job, it will inevitably chip and scratch if you play with the doll. Oh, and most of this applies to resin as well,

If you have a membership to Den of Angels they have a "workshop" area that is just overloaded with people customizing dolls in all sorts of ways. I highly recommend going there and spending a lot of time reading those sections before undergoing a major project. Again, most of the info will be for resin, but the information will, in most cases, work on obitsu as well.

And for those who need an invitation to join DoA, just send me a PM with your email address and I'll be happy to send you an invite :)
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby Skitterbug » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:54 am

I can't get the MSC or ZM spray in without a fairly hefty delivery charge - Volks will charge me 20 dollars to get one bottle in here, and MSC from junkyspot just... won't ship to canada. They don't ship MSC internationally.

:/

Anyway, I'll go investigate a few other things - I know vinyl spray dye has been mentioned before and that sounds promising.
Skitterbug

Postby 1/6andtinylover » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:46 pm

You can always throw in a couple other items with the ZM spray like the make pen, which sounds pretty usefull, and really fine brushes if you need them for future painting jobs, or even eyes and clothes that would fit your doll.
The ever growing wishlist: Hujoo Dana, Obitsu 40, and an army of other Obitsus with anime style heads.
The more expensive end of my wishtlist: Limhwa Half Elf and Elfdoll Soah, my dream dolls.
Dolls @ home: Elodie Tarte (YuHao Tart)
1/6andtinylover
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Skitterbug » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:25 pm

It's just I already have most of the supplies - pastels, acrylics, watercolor pencils. It's just this SPRAY that's eluding me!

Anyone in ottawa who I can borrow a can from? :P

We do have a few model stores around here and there's a slim chance they might have Mr Super Clear in.

EDIT: The canadian tire near me carries the vinyl spray dye, but they seem to be out of the charcoal grey color I thought would be best, so I've gotta wait on a restock for that.

Gnarrrr
Skitterbug

Postby Ivan9 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:43 am

The very first thing we should keep in mind while going for having design on body is paint product. it should be good such that it does not effect your skin. My friend used products of liquid latex and was appreciating too. You should also try this.
Ivan9
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks