Go to footer

Is there much difference...

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Is there much difference...

Postby ivory stardust » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:26 am

Is there much real difference between MSC UV-Cut and MSC Flat? I mean, I know one is UV Cut and the other isn't, but aside from that... is one better on vinyl heads than the other, or just better overall? Does it matter?

I am hoping getting MSC will solve my problem. I've been using ZM UV-Cut, and not had any issues with it... as long as it's on the hard plastic bodies. It works fantastic on those. But no matter what I do, it goes shiny on the soft vinyl heads if I use more than 2 coats (and I keep the coats light as possible). Sort of makes building up layers difficult when it does that. MSC seems to come highly recommended by everyone here, so I am going to try it and see if that resolves the issue.

And now that I have rambled, back to the question. ^_^ Is there a difference, and if so which is better?
Last edited by ivory stardust on Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes, you just need a nap!
ivory stardust
Dolly Pardon

Re: Is there much difference...

Postby K2! » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:55 pm

It's my understanding that the only real difference between MSC and the MSC-UV is that the UV version is a little more expensive due to providing increased protection from ultra violet light. The theory would be that the extra UV protection would keep the vinyl/resin/whatever from yellowing or aging as fast from exposure to light. Even with such added protection I wouldn't make a habit of taking the girls sunbathing or leaving them on the window sill. I have only ever used MSC-UV so I can't really speak for a comparison of the two products. So far I have used one can of MSC-UV for about a dozen face ups (about 6-7 light coats each) on 60cm and 50cm Obitsu soft vinyl heads and have never had any problems with the finish "glossing up" or becoming spotty. It do have a stink to it, i.e. there are some nasty solvents at work here you don't want to be inhaling. If you don't have a proper spray booth (who does?) you can spray your work quickly outdoors and returning inside to keep the surface temperature of your work piece above 60 degrees, which is now becoming possible with the milder spring weather.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Re: Is there much difference...

Postby ivory stardust » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:19 pm

That definitely sounds like it's worth the couple extra bucks. I am just getting tired of my faces looking like they're coated in Vaseline. Thankfully it's been heads I have been practicing on and not my actual ones, but still... if it does it to the practice ones, it will do it to the "real" ones, and I really don't want to get a face up done, only to ruin it by making them look sweaty. lol
Sometimes, you just need a nap!
ivory stardust
Dolly Pardon

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks