Go to footer

Styling doll's hair with glue

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Styling doll's hair with glue

Postby MitisFeles » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:45 pm

Searching on the web for doll's dresses tutorial I found this post on a blog: http://1-6thsensedolls.blogspot.com/2010/05/flow-it-show-it-long-as-god-can-grow-it.html#more. The author says that he use thinned white glue to keep on place doll's hair. I have some Barbie dolls customization project that will surely benefit from a strong fix (my cosplay dolls are intended just for showing, not for playing, this is my Obitsus task), but I can't understand what is "white glue". The only white glue I use here in Italy is "Vinavil", a vynilic adhesive for wood, paper and cardboard. It become transparent drying, so I think it can be this infamous "white glue", but I'm not sure. So I'm asking for advices here. Someone has ever used vinylic glue or other kind of glue for styling? Or any other substance? There are contraindication? As already said, I intend to use such a drastic method only on my custom works intended only for showing.
MitisFeles
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Styling doll's hair with glue

Postby Yanagi-sen » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:03 pm

Generally what we (in the US) refer to as 'white glue' is Elmer's glue or 'school glue' for other brands. It washes up with just water (although a little soap helps) and generally dries more or less clear.

http://www.elmers.com/product/detail/E304?filterPath=school%2f4oz%2f
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby dhawktx » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:29 pm

White glue is also known as PVA or Polyvinyl Acetate. It dries clear but if you soak the head in water it (the glue) can be removed from the hair.
dhawktx
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby MitisFeles » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:30 am

I checked my Vinavil bottle: is composed by Polyvinyl Acetate, so it must be the same of white (or school) glue. In fact, the small Vinavil bottle is used for school works just as small Elmer's Glue bottle.
Thanks very much, now I've found another more use for Vinavil XD I already use it for maizena putty, papier mache, in addition to tempera painting and obviously to glue paper and wood :lol:
MitisFeles
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks