Go to footer

Acrylic paint care

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Acrylic paint care

Postby Greyhaunt » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:09 am

Just a note here, because something I read reminded me of this. Most people don't realize that paint can be easily affected by temperature and it is very important to keep your acrylic paints in a controlled environment. NEVER put your paints in a storage facility that is not temperature controlled!!! And above all, don't let your paints freeze!!!!

When I moved (yea eons ago) from Phoenix to Denver to go to art school, everything I owned, including my huge collection of acrylic paints, was in the back of a pickup truck and attached trailer. Unfortunately, I arrived in Denver during an arctic storm front where the temps were below 0. Everything (and I mean everything) I own froze, including the paints. Ignorant little me didn't know that was a problem - until I went to use the paints and instead of nice smooth paint coming out of the tubes and jars I had a grainy, gloppy substance that was useless :( there really wasn't much I could have done to have prevented this, but I remembered it ever after and always made sure that my paints were kept safe during future moves!
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Re: Acrylic paint care

Postby magkelly » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:22 am

I used to work for a large craft chain. Even on a shelf in air conditioning paint isn't immortal. After a certain time the stuff separates from the base and/or dries out even in the jars or tubes. I just bought a tube from Micheal's not too long ago that was completely stiff. Had to return it and grab another one and that wasn't even old paint. The brand is new. They just started carrying it.
magkelly
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Greyhaunt » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:21 am

I've got some paint that is still going after 20 years, but then it's more high end stuff with a very cleanly closing tube :) Certainly nothing is everlasting, but it definitely helps to not freeze them LOL
Greyhaunt

Postby magkelly » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:32 pm

I think it has a lot to do with climate. I used to live up in PA and paint lasted me quite a while now, but now that we live in a more humid climate paint gets lumpy and/or separates. Craft paint goes the quickest. We used to have to make random spot checks and I swear sometimes I think we sent back as much as we sold.
magkelly
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby dhawktx » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:59 pm

Here in Texas you have to worry a LOT about the heat. I don't even BUY acrylic paint and polymer clay online at certain times of the year - going through the post will bake them!
dhawktx
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby Greyhaunt » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:54 pm

dhawktx wrote:Here in Texas you have to worry a LOT about the heat. I don't even BUY acrylic paint and polymer clay online at certain times of the year - going through the post will bake them!

LOL - Preaching to the choir with that one! I've grown up in the middle of the AZ desert, but I've lived in TX too (Austin). Boy do I know about not buying certain things during times of the year. I keep telling Emory not to mail me any pocky (waaaaahhhh) during the summer months cause they melt together into a big pockystick lump :(
Greyhaunt

Postby OkamiKodomo » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:38 pm

I live in Orlando FL, so I can relate too. XD
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Siead » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:05 pm

i love the Reaper paints for this. they are fairly thin, but each bottle (1/2oz) has a tiny skull in it, used to mix up the paint when you shake the bottle. some of their paints i have had for what feels like forever and they still work fine. :)
https://twitter.com/SieadAitGR is the central hub for all my hobby blog/vlogging.
Siead
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks