Go to footer

Changing a Tonner Doll's Skin Color

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Changing a Tonner Doll's Skin Color

Postby SkyFire Fox » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:29 pm

Has anyone dyed or painted a Tonner doll? If so, what did you use and how did it work?
SkyFire Fox

Re: Changing a Tonner Doll's Skin Color

Postby Linteia » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:10 am

Not sure about Tonner dolls specifically, but RIT dye seems to be the popular choice for dyeing dolls. I've mostly seen it done with vinyl and ABS.
Linteia
the walls have dolliehs

Postby SkyFire Fox » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:53 am

I've used RIT on several ABJD's, but it has to be near boiling to work. I'm somewhat wary of putting a Tonner in boiling water.
SkyFire Fox

Postby magkelly » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:30 pm

You can put a Tonner in near boiling water so long as you don't have the burner under it lit. I've done it to straighten bent arms, remove heads and such. They're more resistant to heat than most people think, but I wouldn't leave them in for more than a few minutes maybe. How long would you have to leave one in to dye? It would have to be a bald doll if you were going to do it for any real length of time for sure. More than a minute or so and you can mess up a doll's hair. A quick dunk there is okay, but the hair will be ruined if you have to leave it there for a while.
magkelly
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby SkyFire Fox » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:51 pm

I have to start with a bald doll anyway cause I'm making Morgan from Criminal Minds and BA from The A-Team. To make a doll that dark it would take a few minutes. But I could probably do it like I dyed one of my resin dolls--dip the part in the dye bath for a minute then put it in warm water to cool, then back in the dye bath.
SkyFire Fox

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks