Go to footer

Why MSC?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Re: Why MSC?

Postby leopardessmoon » Wed May 12, 2010 2:30 am

testors will yellow, not always noticable, but it is the nature of the formula. DO NOT USE KRYLON...especially on vinyl or ABS plastic. krylon is good spraypaint for its intended purpose but plastic of any sort is NOT listed for use. Krylon does have a specific formula for use on plastic, (I think it is meant to paint plastic patio furniture and such) but the website recomends wipeing the plastic item down with paint thinner for best results O.o . In general if the product requires acetone or paint thinner to clean up, it will likely not be good to use on resin and probably harmfull for vinyl and ABS. MSC, testors, and ZM can be cleaned with rubbing alcohol.
leopardessmoon

Postby victoriavictrix » Wed May 12, 2010 5:54 pm

I've tried the Krylon for plastic on a sacrificial fashion doll.

It never dried. Doll was a sticky mess that couldn't even be cleaned.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Eseme » Wed May 12, 2010 9:14 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll add a can of MSC to my want list, and keep the Testors for my minis. I'm going to have a terrible time finding a place to spray anything, doll or minis. Renting makes that rather hard - I like to spray outside for health reasons, but I've gotten horrified looks from neighbors in the past at other apartment complexes.
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Ms. Geek » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:24 pm

One vote for Zoukeimura Powder UV cut. It gives an almost bisque-like texture to a vinyl doll's head. Good stuff. Testors, on the other hand...BARF. There is one thing it's useful for, and it would be a very specialized use: giving new Obitsu parts the patina of aged Obitsu parts. You will want to do an overcoat of ZM or MSC afterward to prevent t3h dirti3z. Testors is a dirt magnet when applied to Obitsu.
Ms. Geek

Postby Biff » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:16 pm

Just because no one's cleary stated this... Testors is NOT clear, it is translucent with a slightly yellow/grey tone. If you don't believe me, spray a sheet a paper and look at the color difference once it dries. It isn't apparent in small amounts, but would be more noticeable on a larger surface (hense a BJD vs a small figure). It primarily has the big issue of overly attracting dirt and not drying fully (hense the sticky finish). I have pretty much given up using it, but for doing a resin match to an older doll, it works pretty well because it resembles the same color tone older resin or vinyl tends to turn. It doesn't really work that well on resin or plastic/vinyl.

Model Masters Clear Lacquer Lusterless Flat is currently the most recommended/known model sealer material for being pretty decent within the model maker community I've spoken with in the US. Unlike testors, it's clear and actually dries. I am waiting to get my hands on another MSC can and will be doing a comparison of the two later as NO ONE as clearly given any real reason what makes MSC so much better then it. I will comment there is currently no UV cut version, however I am as of yet to see a MSC UV cut sprayed doll vs just a MSC one and seen any real difference.

I have had very good luck with Zoukimura finishing powder, I don't know why it's never mentioned. MSC leaves a smoother finish, but because of the more toothy finish for the ZM powder, I would suspect it wouldn't go shiny as fast. I can't do any comparison of a long term on it holding up because it hasn't been around as long as MSC (I believe it was introduced around 3-4 years ago).

Also, if I didn't have a semi-local supplier MSC would cost me around $20-$22/can or more to get within a reasonable time period. Testors is around $5 (easy to find), Model Masters is around $6 (slightly harder to find) and ZM is $9 (through Volks online only and ends up being $23).

BTW, I don't know what spray did this, but Ms. Geek's doll, Yumiko's upper arm was permanently damaged from a spray being touched and not sealing properly. I think it might've been MSC (it had to be that or ZM, which I don't know if it existed then or not). So that might be worth investigating/being warry of.
Biff
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby Kirahfaye » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:00 am

This weekend I was looking forward to experimenting with the Vallejo spray that I got from JS, unfortunately it arrived with a leak in the base. So I'll have to wait to share my thoughts. I'm done with MSC. I'm worried that despite all my precautions it might be the cause of the constant cough I've had for months now.
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby OkamiKodomo » Mon May 09, 2011 3:46 pm

So, this is an older topic, but it's a related question....

Has anyone tried using a combination of Testor's and MSC? Invariably, Testor's is cheaper, and easier to find. There's a hobby shop walking distance from my house, and a Michael's just a little further, both of which carry Dullcote....

So, my question is this: Has anyone tried using Testors for the work between layers of pastels, and then MSC as the finishing coat? I know MSC is invariably superior, and it is the be-all-end-all of sealant sprays lol, I'm not asking which one is better... I simply want to know if anyone has tried it before, and what their results were. ^_^ If not, I may have to try it and share my results for the random curious person.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby kurosu.chan » Mon May 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Eseme wrote:Thanks for the advice. I'll add a can of MSC to my want list, and keep the Testors for my minis. I'm going to have a terrible time finding a place to spray anything, doll or minis. Renting makes that rather hard - I like to spray outside for health reasons, but I've gotten horrified looks from neighbors in the past at other apartment complexes.

If it's possible, you could try the roof! XD
I like to spray stuff up on the roof of my house (when it isn't raining >.>) because I find that it is easier to keep the spray from getting where you don't want it (on clothes, in hair, etc.) because you can tell where the wind is going, and that the smell of sealant isn't quite as noticeable to other people.
kurosu.chan
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Zainin » Mon May 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Last edited by Zainin on Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zainin
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Biff » Tue May 10, 2011 1:12 am

OkamiKodomo wrote:So, this is an older topic, but it's a related question....

Has anyone tried using a combination of Testor's and MSC? Invariably, Testor's is cheaper, and easier to find. There's a hobby shop walking distance from my house, and a Michael's just a little further, both of which carry Dullcote....

So, my question is this: Has anyone tried using Testors for the work between layers of pastels, and then MSC as the finishing coat? I know MSC is invariably superior, and it is the be-all-end-all of sealant sprays lol, I'm not asking which one is better... I simply want to know if anyone has tried it before, and what their results were. ^_^ If not, I may have to try it and share my results for the random curious person.

I've done it with ZM spray ,but not with MSC. It works fine but as Testors is not clear, it's translucent and leaves a bit of a yellow/grey tone. I personally would try Model Master Lacquer Overcoat in Lusterless (Flat) if you can find it instead as it doesn't dry as stick and isn't as yellow. It's not that much more expensive either. So just note whatever you spray will be a shade darker when you're done.

The only cases I've ever had white residue on dolls was from a poorly cleaned off coat of msc coming in contact with alcohol. It's also possible it wasn't coated evenly or too heavily in some spots. I can't say anything about dark skinned dolls specifically though as I don't own any myself.

I haven't had Testors turn yellow, but it is a bit yellow/grey to begin with. It's less the color I had problems with and more the fact on the 1/6 heads i did, were covered in dirt and lint and such afterwords.

I was planning on doing some more experimenting with MSC, but some locals bought out the last of the stock before telling me about it and I've now been waiting about 5-6 months for it to come back in stock. -_-;
Biff
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks