Go to footer

Doll Wings

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Doll Wings

Postby catshem » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:46 pm

A number of you know I've been trying to make doll sized feather wings. I prefer to stick with feathers as my own interests lead me to trying to make them myself. What I've been having problems with is finding the most cost effective, and yet quality building method. I ended up putting my etsy shop on vacation because I felt what I was already making wasn't up to standard. I hate the idea of making something that falls apart on the buyer because I didn't pay enough attention to the construction. I also don't like the idea of the whole gimick my shop relies on is that they are "feather wings", not being made with feathers.

Obivously, having to replenish my feather supply can put an unneeded dent into our finances, so we've shopped for ideas on how to cut down on the feathers yet still make feather wings. Then we found this at JoAnn's:

If I can cut it right, I shouldn't have to buy craft boa anymore to serve as the fluff feathers usually seen at the top of depicted angel wings. Then I should be able to only have to buy cheap bulk of saddle hack and the standard craft feathers. This is mostly inspired after seeing a picture of a gigantic SOOM doll with these massive wings that looked like they were half made of fur.

So, I'm looking for help from my fellow crafty crafters (lol) for idea's on how to best make this work. I already use wires to make a 'skeleton' frame. As 'skin' I use fabric that matches the wing color (white, black), it serves as my base to glue the feathers on. I did manage a harness that doesn't become intrusive to clothing, as well. Which brings me to another thing.

Elastic. Is. Annoying. To. Sew. There has got to be a more stable way to fasten elastic to itself to make strechy loops.
My dolls Family
I make doll wingsOfficial Store here
Commission thread here
Mirrored Fantasies Etsy store
**DS exclusive coupon code for my etsy shop: DS15OFF
I like cats and dolls... I think my life is set. Wife of Rob.
Their story The God of Rampage
catshem
Iz dolliehs Here

Re: Doll Wings

Postby Lamia of the Dark » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:03 pm

>_> you could make wings that velcro or snap to the back of the doll's clothes. (Of course, that would only work if they only want to have the wings on one outfit, or if you add velcro or snaps to the back of ALL their clothes...)
I have so many dolls that I can't fit all their names in my signature anymore. @__@
Lamia of the Dark
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby catshem » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:09 pm

I already thought of that and threw it out since I or the buyer would have to mod their doll or clothes. That and it wasn't enough support.
My dolls Family
Commission thread here
catshem
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:45 pm

Hmm...What about magnets?
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby catshem » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:59 am

I never even considered magnets, my god. That sounds genius. First I'll try and establish my goal at making wings and getting customers, then I'll look into magnets. I had already dumped enough money into this. I need to make some back.

Please keep suggestions coming. I can honestly use all the crafty help I can get.
My dolls Family
Commission thread here
catshem
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby catshem » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:32 pm

Here's a couple of picture's of what I did today. Needs some tweaking...

Like, don't like? I really needs opinions here. If I'm prefectionist about anything, it's making sure that whatever I'm making with the intent of getting out to the public is PERFECT.
My dolls Family
Commission thread here
catshem
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby 1/6andtinylover » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:54 pm

Ooh, I like the fluffyness! I'm not sure if this is the case IRL, but the furry part looks shinier than the feather part...it's rather easy to tell the feather and fluff apart on the second pic. if that was caused by some sort of hair spray-ish product on the fluffy part, maybe you can wash it out.
The ever growing wishlist: Hujoo Dana, Obitsu 40, and an army of other Obitsus with anime style heads.
The more expensive end of my wishtlist: Limhwa Half Elf and Elfdoll Soah, my dream dolls.
Dolls @ home: Elodie Tarte (YuHao Tart)
1/6andtinylover
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:35 pm

Wow! It looks really great and so soft and fluffy! Like real wings. Nicely done and I'm glad you like my magnet idea. ^^
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby Lamia of the Dark » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:16 am

They look awesome, although the fluff is really shiny...
I have so many dolls that I can't fit all their names in my signature anymore. @__@
Lamia of the Dark
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby catshem » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:25 pm

Damn, yeah. This isn't matching up too well. I wonder if there's something I can do to the fabric to "remove the shiney"...so to speak. Or like, hmmm, I wonder what just fabric fuzzy wings would look like? Awe but that does not match up with my whole gimick here. I might be stuck with craft boa for the feather fluff part.
My dolls Family
Commission thread here
catshem
Iz dolliehs Here

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks