Go to footer

Doll Wings

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Re: Doll Wings

Postby OkamiKodomo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:30 pm

What about just buying the bags of feather fluff? It's about $3 or thereabouts, for a big bag.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby catshem » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:36 pm

OkamiKodomo wrote:What about just buying the bags of feather fluff? It's about $3 or thereabouts, for a big bag.

I've done that and found feather boas to make life easier.
My dolls Family
I make doll wingsOfficial Store here
Commission thread here
Mirrored Fantasies Etsy store
**DS exclusive coupon code for my etsy shop: DS15OFF
I like cats and dolls... I think my life is set. Wife of Rob.
Their story The God of Rampage
catshem
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby OkamiKodomo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:43 pm

Fair enough. They do tend to get everywhere don't they.... o.o I have a few bags of feather fluff that I bought...for some project or another. And every time I took them out, bits of fluff ended up everywhere. But if it's a choice between price and convenience...? I've since learned, and taken to keeping my feather collections in ziplock bags rather than their original cellophane wrappers. I have bags of pheasant and guinea feathers, some leftover saddle hackle from a cape I made, a bunch of peacock eye and sword feathers (guh...love peacock swords... so purdy) a few feather picks that I took apart, and the afore mentioned bags of fluff, and the ziplock bags really do help keep it under control.
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby catshem » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:56 pm

Sweet Jesus thank you for the bag tip. My feathers end up a jumbled mess after I've finished my work.

I guess what this pretty much comes down to is it's all feathers or nothing, since faux feathery-like fabric is shiney. Apparently. lol I'm still playing with the design, I've been picky about it. I want them to have enough flexiblity so that their poseable, and not stuck in one position. I've done jointed ones and they were great, but posed some problems.

...And then as soon as I say what I want to do, my answer finally comes to me! On the frame part anyway.

After Alopecia's magnet idea, instead of two joined wings, I should be able to make two completely separate wings and section the wire so that there's room for posing. As always, in testing phase I have to try the cheap route first so I'm thinking if one of my local craft store's may have some decent magnets I can try this on. And then buy more wire. Why is it always when a better idea strikes, you never have enough in stock to attempt it? I mean, I think I have just enough to make a small pair....
My dolls Family
Commission thread here
catshem
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby OkamiKodomo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:54 pm

Hahah yeah ziplocks are your friends. It'll still get a bit messy when you take feathers out of the bag, but it will keep them under control when you're not using them.
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby catshem » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:07 am

I just got some feathers sorted into bags, but I have so many feathers I like.. gave up. I'll get back to it >_>

So last night I went out and got some craft magnets:
These are larger and stronger. The package says MAG 208 which I'm guessing means the strength.
These are smaller and slightly weaker. MAG 207. These don't hold up well through clothing unless it's thin fabric. I'm thinking I might have to attach 4 magnets in order for these to be strong enough.

I'd love to use rare earth magnets for this but I'm curious, are there any really strong ones that are thin? Or is it the thinner they are, the weaker they become?

And then I just made a new, mind you kinda rough, pair of black wings for Rue. I do only use the craft boa feathers for larger size wings. Otherwise it's just TOO FLUFFY. lol
Also have some partial face shots. I mean, I don't care about putting my face on these forums, as I'm sure you guys wont stalk me (lol), but my husband cares so... *shrug*
My dolls Family
Commission thread here
catshem
Iz dolliehs Here

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks