Go to footer

Re-rooting tutorials out there?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Re-rooting tutorials out there?

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:54 pm

Alright seeing all the re-roots of dolls...I'm getting curious and am thinking of scalping a beach party Barbie I stripped the swimsuit off of for Haruka and trying my hands at re-rooting...

I was gonna buy some hair extensions for the rooting...Would that work?
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime
I have no life but dolliehs

Re: Re-rooting tutorials out there?

Postby DollyKim » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Needle and thread rerooting http://dolfielittles.typepad.com/blog/2 ... ethod.html

Any hair you use with this method must be smooth, no texture or nap, because it's folded in half. I've used novelty wigs, glow in the dark and fantasy colors, but not natural looking wig hair. You also need to have twice the length you want and enough to go around the head, could get pricy at the beauty store so compare with the prices at doll hair websites.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks Dollykim. I was gonna buy a few extensions and try it out on an old barbie head keeping the face-up in tact for now...Gonna try to learn some new skills for customs.

Reading your tutorial I think this may be easy...Barbie heads are small....But then again I thought sewing would be easy...
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime

Postby magkelly » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:53 am

I used to use a needle and knots, still do around the hairline a bit, but sometimes I just use a very tiny crochet hook instead. I wet the hair, put the crochet hook through the original holes in the head from inside the head, grab the hair with the hook, twist it a bit, pull it through and knot it. It goes a lot faster than using a needle does and unlike with some methods I don't need to put glue in the head when I am done. You do have to be careful with older heads. I don't often do a vintage doll with this method because they can be a bit fragile from age. Also I find around the hairline that first row I prefer a needle but after that I will use the hook.

I've seen other methods, but I've never really liked the punch it all in method or the lock stitch method. Knotting just works for me but using a needle a lot makes me crazy so after that first row I will generally use a crochet hook. I don't actually like doing whole head roots much. I'm not very patient, laugh. I prefer to just add in more hair but I have done a few whole heads. I'm working on one now, older 80's Barbie. I'm rooting her in hot pink, purple and lime to match her eye makeup. I just can't do more than 4" per day on a whole head. I just get too bored and my neck hurts so a whole root usually takes me a while.

Might not be rooting anymore for a week or so actually. Hurt my neck a bit today. Some guy on a cell phone clipped me from behind while I was in the car at a stop light. 3rd darned time someone has done that me in the past decade. I really wish they'd outlaw the use of cell phones in the car here! It's not bad, only a little whiplash and a little dent above my r wheel now, but I don't think I need to be rooting doll hair and such while recovering from whiplash. ;P But I've got some pics to take of the recent re-roots I did, tomorrow maybe depending upon how my neck feels...
magkelly
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:16 am

Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna try the knot method I saw a vid on Youtube of it and it looks more my style so to speak. I can do that and watch Fruits Basket. ^^
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime

Postby maywong » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:40 pm

I use the knot method myself. Here is another one tutorial.
http://www.restoredoll.com/Easy-reroot-guide.html
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks