Go to footer

Advice on learning to reroot..?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Advice on learning to reroot..?

Postby KingNorth » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:28 pm

So, I want to try doing my very first reroot--knowing this is going to be a horribly tedious process. I mostly want to learn this to do some Monster High dolls. I'm just wondering if you think I should invest in the hair and do my first attempt on one of my MH dolls or first practice on an old Barbie? Or maybe I don't need to do the whole Barbie, maybe just a little to get the hang of it..?

I don't really know, so any advice for me would be hugely appreciated.
KingNorth
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Re: Advice on learning to reroot..?

Postby maywong » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:43 pm

My 1st reroot job was on a molded hair head with no holes in it. I had to shave off the molded hair and put holes in the head. I had never done a reroot before and I had no practice with other dolls. I just jumped in. :lol:

Rerooting isn't that hard. It's just time consuming. What method are you going to be doing?
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby KingNorth » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:35 pm

maywong wrote:My 1st reroot job was on a molded hair head with no holes in it. I had to shave off the molded hair and put holes in the head. I had never done a reroot before and I had no practice with other dolls. I just jumped in. :lol:

Rerooting isn't that hard. It's just time consuming. What method are you going to be doing?

I think I'm going to use the "needle and thread" method..? I don't have the fine motor control required to use the knot method or I'd just do that. It's so simple, even if it does take forever. D:

Also..I wonder if I can reroot an MH doll with short hair and get it to lay right?
KingNorth
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby DollyKim » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Pull up a chair, put in some movies or TV shows you want to catch up on. http://dolfielittles.typepad.com/blog/2 ... ethod.html It just takes time and patience and you can't rush it.

I can attest to how secure this is because I undid a head I had done a row on and it took a bit of work.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby KingNorth » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:24 am

DollyKim wrote:Pull up a chair, put in some movies or TV shows you want to catch up on. http://dolfielittles.typepad.com/blog/2 ... ethod.html It just takes time and patience and you can't rush it.

I can attest to how secure this is because I undid a head I had done a row on and it took a bit of work.

Thank you very much!
KingNorth
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks