Go to footer

Anyone tested a bunch of epoxy resins?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Re: Anyone tested a bunch of epoxy resins?

Postby magkelly » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:42 pm

There's a great doll shoes website where the person who runs it makes all kinds of shoes but usually they're using resin or carving wood. The only sculpey shoes I've seen them do have been flat shoes for bigger dolls. It seems to work fine if you're making rubber type soles but I haven't seen anyone make like a Tonner high heel shoe bottom out of it as yet. I totally covet Cinderella shoes for bigger than Barbies sized fashion dolls. I've seen them but they are so expensive.
magkelly
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Evelien » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:04 am

I'm about to try making shoes myself soon, but I think I'll keep it easy and use cork or even foam - anything I can get my hands on that's easy to modify/cut :P. I've thought about resin and silicone many times but I don't have the guts to try that... Or the money to buy all the supplies needed.
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:22 am

The book I had on making fashion doll shoes basically seems like you make them as you would make human shoes. They suggest making fake feet to work on, a last, then using fabric, leather, and anything you'd use on people shoes. Doll shoes are essentially small people shoes. Once you have some prototypes out of what ever make molds of them and cast out of what ever.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Dirili » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:06 am

That's the thing, I think most of us have never made people shoes either hehe.

oooo, cork is a great idea Evelien! Shoes with cork soles are so pretty. I don't recall seeing any made for dolls recently.
My woefully neglected website:
http://www.designbyamy.net
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks