Go to footer

Minwax sealer?Help

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Minwax sealer?Help

Postby AmberRose » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:42 am

Ok, I have been working on finishing my daughter's hooves for her yo-sd girl.

they were finished being glossed this morning, they look fantastic, but I am afraid when she restrings her girl the points where the legs will rub, knees and ankle it will damage the paint or pull it off/chip they are painted very dark and it will be very noticeable if this were to happen. i want to maintain their current state of beauty,
they are primed with tamiaya x-21 flat sealer, painted in water color, then repainted in 2 layers of acrylics, then glossed with tamiaya x-22 gloss with a lil volks pink pearl powder mixed in on the toes and bottom on the calf piece.

i noticed http://www.etsy.com/transaction/27031090 mentioned using minwax sealer on their dinosaurs and zombie wearwolfs and remember someone mentioning in the past using it would prevent chips i would like to go out tomorrow to buy some but i don't know which one to buy. minwax makes alot of products i wrote the person on esty to ask but their shop appears vacant currently so i don't one how likly it is to get a reply from the artise i remember someone on 13doll mentioned the use of minwax a strong floor sealer to be used on animal dolls or horns to super seal them and prevent chips of any sort but i can't remember who posted it.
AmberRose
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Minwax sealer?Help

Postby victoriavictrix » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:49 pm

It's in the dolly debate section, a long post on 100% permanent body blushing and would you do it.

http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showt ... y-Blushing
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby leopardessmoon » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:50 am

I have been following that thread and I really wish the person who tried it had actually said which of the many minwax products she had actually used. *sigh*
leopardessmoon

Postby Pandor » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:02 am

Minwax Water-Based Polycrylic Protective Finish Clear Satin.
I got my can from Jo-Ann's webstore.
I've used it on some plastic unicorns I customized, seems to work nicely. Also intend to use it on my custom full-body painted hujoo at some point... (her nose got bonked and paint flaked off, so she needs touch-ups before I spray her.)

And I'd just like to point out the obvious and say don't use it on soft vinyl. It won't work; it will dry but if you squeeze the vinyl the sealer will crack and peel off. (Tested on a junk Barbie to see what effect it would have on the various plastics her legs, arms and torso were made of, and her head to confirm what I already figured.)
Pandor
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Pandor » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:47 pm

Here you go: http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/prod ... D=prd11208

Oooh, it's on sale! Maybe I should get another can...
Pandor
the walls have dolliehs

Postby victoriavictrix » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:38 pm

I found it at Lowes. And although Lowes doesn't have this version, evidently it comes in a spray as well.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby leopardessmoon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:32 pm

walmart carries the polycrylic too.
on the first page of that thread a person indicates that they had "used miniwax floor acrylic on the doll." later in the thread someone else tried the polycrylic with good results so far.
:)
leopardessmoon

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks