Go to footer

MSC and strings: it's ustringing necessary?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

MSC and strings: it's ustringing necessary?

Postby MitisFeles » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:19 am

Hi guys!
I've finally got some little time to start paiting my Dikadoll Mian Mian, and immediately I got my first doubt. Mian Mian is my first stringed doll, and I need to seal her entire body with MSC, because I want to paint and blush almost all... do I have to unstring her, or can I simply layer MSC without caring for strings? I don't want to battle to restring her if it's no strictly necessary, her stringing is absolutely perfect for posing and I don't want to ruin it...
MitisFeles
the walls have dolliehs

Re: MSC and strings: it's ustringing necessary?

Postby Greyhaunt » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:13 am

if you plan on painting the insides of the joint areas then yes, you need to disassemble the doll. If you don't the inside areas and balls of the joints will not be properly covered by MSC and will loose paint quickly. To be honest, depending on how much you play with the doll the paint will inevitably wear off unless you use some of that floor varnish that Victoria Victrix has talked about.

Don't feel intimidated by restringing, it's really not that hard to do - just make sure you have the right sort of tools (by which I mean things like a thin enough strong wire to pull the string with) to do it.
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby MitisFeles » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:18 am

@Greyhaunt: I actually need only to paint her tips (paws and tail) and head, no joints involved I think...my main doubt was about if MSC will ruin in some way the string when sprayed to seal the body...
MitisFeles
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Greyhaunt » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:41 am

Dee Dee Steele wrote:@Greyhaunt: I actually need only to paint her tips (paws and tail) and head, no joints involved I think...my main doubt was about if MSC will ruin in some way the string when sprayed to seal the body...

Oh, ok :)

Na, you should be fine then. It's really not likely that the MSC will even get near the string :)
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby Dirili » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:51 pm

Greyhaunt wrote:To be honest, depending on how much you play with the doll the paint will inevitably wear off unless you use some of that floor varnish that Victoria Victrix has talked about.

What is this floor varnish? I searched for a while but couldn't find the post on it.
Please please please elaborate! The erosion on my blush jobs is driving me nuts! I've been trying different things, but the best I've been able to do is seal with Purity Seal and use those silicone donuts at joints where they will fit.
My woefully neglected website:
http://www.designbyamy.net
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Trethowan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Dirili wrote:
Greyhaunt wrote:To be honest, depending on how much you play with the doll the paint will inevitably wear off unless you use some of that floor varnish that Victoria Victrix has talked about.

What is this floor varnish? I searched for a while but couldn't find the post on it.
Please please please elaborate! The erosion on my blush jobs is driving me nuts! I've been trying different things, but the best I've been able to do is seal with Purity Seal and use those silicone donuts at joints where they will fit.

Minwax polycrylic protective finish.

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/int ... ive-finish
Trethowan
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks